Palemoon vs UC Browser

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
megaman

Palemoon vs UC Browser

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-09, 00:30

I use UCBrowser for Windows Phone.
The thing about it is that, since Android has a higher user-base than Windows Phone, UC Browser has the top priority and multiple updates(I BETA Test UC on Windows Phone, so I imagine tons of BETA updates on Android's version)

Main reason for the topic is to see how Palemoon fares against UC, and if any ones here that can test performance.
I personally don't own an Android device or I would truly test it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Palemoon vs UC Browser

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-09, 04:08

I don't use any other browsers on android but Pale Moon. It is against Binary Outcast policy to.............care 8-)

What rendering engine is it using.. Dunno, why I am asking it will obviously be webkit/blink. There are no other rendering engines anymore.. :roll:

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-09, 04:25

Matt A Tobin wrote:I don't use any other browsers on android but Pale Moon. It is against Binary Outcast policy to.............care 8-)

What rendering engine is it using.. Dunno, why I am asking it will obviously be webkit/blink. There are no other rendering engines anymore.. :roll:
To point things out here, users need a browser that suits them. If UC is faster, then Palemoon needs to be optimized to meet/exceed UC. I can't test them myself, but I started using UC because of Windows Phone and recommend it, but since Palemoon came in as an Android version, and Palemoon doesn't meet/exceed UC, it might be hard to persuade them to join this fantastic browser.

Mr. Tobin, I need something productive. Even I venture into other browsers to merely test, not to migrate, or I would announce my "moving-on," so to say.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-09, 10:49

Oh ok.. uhh Well guess I could give it a go soon. Kinda busy right now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-09, 11:01

If UC browser is specifically written from the ground up for mobile, then matching it in terms of speed may simply be too high of a goal.
I can only work with what I have, and if gecko on mobile isn't exactly the fastest possible, then that's just the way it is. The Gecko engine is shared between all products, even if Fennec (mobile) is otherwise a completely different browser.
That being said, I haven't noticed any particular issues with Pale Moon's speed even on the crappy tablet I have (that is slow as tar with everything, so a good test bed for performance issues).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-02-09, 13:28

Heh, most of these "browsers" that people find to be so awesome are just skins around the Webkit/Blink core that Android uses.
megaman wrote:If UC is faster, then Palemoon needs to be optimized to meet/exceed UC.
Definitely you will find a little more speed with UC since it uses a data compression service which they run, and it means all your data (HTTP, and probably HTTPS as well) become visible to the UC browser operators. (Opera Mini is known to simply MITM in case of HTTPS, so that the browser can use compression for all pages.)
megaman wrote:Mr. Tobin, I need something productive
Mr. Megaman, I need privacy.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-02-10, 04:58

squarefractal wrote:Mr. Megaman, I need privacy.
I was referring to his reply. I need someone to test and compare.

I was suggesting UC Browser before Palemoon was even considered being developed on Android, so I couldn't just tell my friends to stop what they are doing and switch. I would need to see a difference, because some were settling-down with UC as it is. It doesn't hurt having more users with the moon.
Off-topic:
The "privacy" is a bit arbitrary at most. Being on the net alone, even with HTTPS and other security measures, you are still putting yourself out there. People think that VPNs can keep them anonymous but they can still get caught.

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2015-03-04, 16:04

I've tried a number of browsers on my Android tablet and phone, and I haven't noticed enormous differences in speed among them. What I have noticed are substantial differences in formatting web pages, readability, and features such as save to PDF, as well as the ability to use Last Pass for logins. Pale Moon excels for me in all these ways, and I'm especially pleased with how well it formats web sites and how easy I find it to read what's on the site. I really didn't think I wanted to add yet another browser, but as soon as I installed Pale Moon, it became my default, and I removed a couple of others. :thumbup:
PM 29.1.1(32-bit) on Win10 Professional 64-bit

ganeshk

Unread post by ganeshk » 2015-03-12, 13:53

Im using UC browser for long time. Now just testing the palemoon for my tablet