Palemoon on BBOS just a smaller "version number" away?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
frmariam

Palemoon on BBOS just a smaller "version number" away?

Unread post by frmariam » 2014-11-14, 19:51

Off-topic:
Hi there and thanks for developing Palemoon. It became my browser on Win7 x64 and seems both faster and more stable than FF.

I decided to try the Android version on my Xperia Sola (a small low speced that runs GB and I've been reluctant to let go because newer phones of its size really suck in terms of build and specs...). It actually seems lighter than FF (again) even though I guess its too hefty for the miserable 1.0*2 cpu and 512MB RAM of my phone (sorry to know you're dropping GB support)...
Don't know if you have any experience on the new Blackberry devices or the poor deceased Playbook tablet (I still use one). To compensate for the lack of apps for the OS RIM/Blackberry added an Android VM that runs quite a few apps. Many Android apk need just be converted to bar files to be able to run on the device. Some Android devs did this and submitted the apps to Blackberry World (app store) but in many cases one can convert these apk and sideload/install them on the devices.

In the past I tried converting FF for Android but the process fails... same happens with Palemoon (using http://apk2bar.org/ ). The issue seems to be the version number of the apk. Apparently it's too long. Could you make it shorter so the conversion process works? I'd love to see if Palemoon runs on my old Playbook (would be awesome to have a better browser with a ABP+)...

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Palemoon on BBOS just a smaller "version number" away?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-14, 21:59

This is unlikely to happen. Pale Moon for Android is designed to run on Android Operating Systems only. Emulation while theoretically could work is not in any way supported. Also, I don't understand how the version number could prevent something like this.. Many android programs have even longer version numbers than the platform.major.minor scheme we use now.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-11-15, 04:56

frmariam wrote: Don't know if you have any experience on the new Blackberry devices or the poor deceased Playbook tablet (I still use one). To compensate for the lack of apps for the OS RIM/Blackberry added an Android VM that runs quite a few apps. Many Android apk need just be converted to bar files to be able to run on the device. Some Android devs did this and submitted the apps to Blackberry World (app store) but in many cases one can convert these apk and sideload/install them on the devices.

In the past I tried converting FF for Android but the process fails... same happens with Palemoon (using http://apk2bar.org/ ). The issue seems to be the version number of the apk. Apparently it's too long. Could you make it shorter so the conversion process works? I'd love to see if Palemoon runs on my old Playbook (would be awesome to have a better browser with a ABP+)...
As a Blackberry Bold user I share your pain to use a crippled browser (*cough* opera *cough) and that Blackberry neglect to give support to any pre OS 10 hardware. Maybe the trouble is that since this is a free service that you use, there is some cap somewhere either in file size or the way that the app is converted. Like Tobin says, I dunno is a trouble of number in the apk but maybe some trouble in the emulation itself.

Look a blue stacks, they emulate Android in Windows but often the support is more for fix Candy Crush than for "My Finance Calc Pro 2" (invented name for example a small user base app that often is neglected in the emulation). I dunno that the Android emulator can get newer apps working as time pass, so really this need a dedicated team that know about programming in Playbook and Android. So sadly as Tobin says is WONTFIX, as Playbook is obsolete now. The site also doesn't have too much information, just the converted and a link to a page with an odd image and lots of social media links of the possible author. :crazy:

yellowhammer

Unread post by yellowhammer » 2015-02-28, 17:22

frmariam wrote:Don't know if you have any experience on the new Blackberry devices or the poor deceased Playbook tablet (I still use one). To compensate for the lack of apps for the OS RIM/Blackberry added an Android VM that runs quite a few apps. Many Android apk need just be converted to bar files to be able to run on the device. Some Android devs did this and submitted the apps to Blackberry World (app store) but in many cases one can convert these apk and sideload/install them on the devices.

In the past I tried converting FF for Android but the process fails... same happens with Palemoon
Pale Moon for Android 25.2.1 runs fine here on my BlackBerry Z30 running OS 10.3.1. The BB10 Android 4.3 runtime is much improved in OS 10.3 and fixed a lot of issues with apps that wouldn't work or wouldn't work without hacking - Firefox is one of those apps. If you have a BlackBerry 10 device, upgrade to 10.3.1 and PM should run well. If you have a PlayBook (Android 2.3.3 runtime) or legacy BBOS device, then you're pretty much out of luck.

Edit: No need to convert the .apk to a .bar and sideload. Download PM from Google Play (via Snap, Cobalt, etc.) or download the .apk from the links on this site and it works.