"Local" sync to mobile devices?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

"Local" sync to mobile devices?

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-08-05, 21:13

Sorry Moonchild, but I don't understand completely what you mean.

Maybe I'm too newbie with the Android interface, but I don't think I can do with Android what I have done more than once on Windows computers.

– On Windows, to copy a profile, I go to C:\...\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon \Profiles\xxx and copy all (or part) of it to a Portable profile, or a "transport" disk drive to copy it as profile on a destination folder. It is both the way I backup my profiles and the way I copy it on another computer.

– I don't think I can do the same with Android. Can I?
I would love to connect my phone as a USB device, and drag my profile (or some files from my profile) somewhere on Android where it would be recognized.
If that can be done, my apologies. Please tell me where !

Regards,
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Pale Moon Sync

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-05, 22:32

@mgagnonlv: I think exchanging or syncing entire profile folders between your computer and your phone would probably result in problems sooner or later. But perhaps you could use a tool like MyPhoneExplorer to sync only the 'places.sqlite' file (which contains your bookmarks) in Pale Moon's profile folder on your computer with it's equivalent on your phone. Of course, to do that, you would still need to know where Pale Moon's profile folder can be found on an Android device. If I were you, I would just look up where Firefox for Android stores it's profile folder; once you know that, it shouldn't be hard to find Pale Moon's profile folder on your phone.

Edit: In the desktop version of Pale Moon, the profile folder can easily be located by going to about:support and then clicking on 'Show folder'. Maybe this option is available in Pale Moon for Android, too.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-08-06, 02:20

Antonius32 wrote:I would just look up where Firefox for Android stores it's profile folder; once you know that, it shouldn't be hard to find Pale Moon's profile folder on your phone.
An Android app cannot manipulate another app's data unless the phone is rooted and the app has a 'root mode'.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-06, 02:58

@access2godzilla:

I did not mean to suggest that Firefox somehow manipulates where Pale Moon stores it's data. What I meant is this: on Windows, Firefox (by default) stores it's profile folders in C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles, and Pale Moon's storage location is similar to it: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles. So I figured that if mgagnonlv looked up (searched the internet for) the default profile folder location for Firefox for Android, he could then deduct Pale Moon for Android's storage location from that, because I would expect Firefox and Pale Moon to use similar locations (just like on Windows).

By the way, maybe you know the answer to this: does Pale Moon for Android have an about:support page?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-08-06, 04:22

Firefox stores its data in /data/data/org.mozilla.android, for Pale Moon it would be /data/data/org.palemoon.mobile. Two things to note:
- You cannot copy files to this folder when you connect an Android phpne to your computer. Only copying files to the internal/external storage is allowed.
- You cannot use a file manager app to copy files to /data/data. See earlier post.

Note to mod: please split.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-06, 10:13

access2godzilla wrote:- You cannot use a file manager app to copy files to /data/data. See earlier post.
I see; I think I misunderstood your earlier remark.
Off-topic:
access2godzilla wrote:Note to mod: please split.
Good idea, sorry for digressing from the original subject.