Building PM on Android

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
madriss

Re: Building PM on Android

Unread post by madriss » 2014-05-14, 01:55

access2godzilla wrote:I've got a working build on ARM :D
http://i.imgur.com/gvBEykg.png

And it benefits from all the fixes made in these releases, so seems like we can call it Fennec ESR ;)
Wow nice job :thumbup: I wonder if this ever becomes an app whether we could bring back an option for text reflow/word wrapping on zoom or double tap to reflow. :o

Reference:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795552
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=900564

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-05-14, 08:15

madriss wrote: if this ever becomes an app whether we could bring back an option for text reflow/word wrapping on zoom or double tap to reflow.
I'd like to see that too, but that depends on "if [it] ever becomes an app". ;) (One of the reasons why I don't use Chrome too.)

matejdro

Unread post by matejdro » 2014-05-14, 09:18

madriss wrote:
access2godzilla wrote:I've got a working build on ARM :D
http://i.imgur.com/gvBEykg.png

And it benefits from all the fixes made in these releases, so seems like we can call it Fennec ESR ;)
Wow nice job :thumbup: I wonder if this ever becomes an app whether we could bring back an option for text reflow/word wrapping on zoom or double tap to reflow. :o

Reference:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795552
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=900564
Awesome to see this, I thought I'm alone in wanting this.

In addition to being reason why I don't use Firefox on phone anymore, it is also one in the line of super dumb decisions mozilla made. They removed perfectly functioning (and optional - could be turned off in setings) pinch to reflow and replaced it with inferior double tap to reflow. Then they figured out that it was not working correcly, so they removed it completely and now we don't have any reflow options.

But lets not spam this thread right now with this and let them get to good builds first.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 10:31

I've got myself an Android tablet now (thanks to donators for making this possible!) so I'll look into making at least an experimental build.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-06-13, 11:26

Nice! Can't wait.
access2godzilla, have you new builds?

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2014-06-13, 12:25

Nice! I'd also be interested to see pinch-to-reflow returned (or some other way of enabling reflow).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 12:35

Trippynet wrote:Nice! I'd also be interested to see pinch-to-reflow returned (or some other way of enabling reflow).
Small moves - first get a working build.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-06-13, 12:47

dark_moon wrote:Nice! Can't wait.
access2godzilla, have you new builds?
Agreed! I'd be pumped to see PM for my android devices. I tried access2godzilla's effort on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.3, ARV v7 rev 10 (ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore)) but it wouldn't install. I'd be more than happy to help with βeta testing, in addition to the Nexus I have a Samsung Tab2 7.0 tablet (Android 4.something, TI OMAP 4430) that I can test with.

Thanks!

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 12:54

x-15a2 wrote:I tried access2godzilla's effort on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.3, ARV v7 rev 10 (ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore)) but it wouldn't install.
In that case MC may be better served to use the versions Mozilla uses for its own builds. (I really don't know what could go wrong there, but it works fine on Android 4.1.)

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-06-13, 13:00

access2godzilla wrote:
x-15a2 wrote:I tried access2godzilla's effort on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.3, ARV v7 rev 10 (ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore)) but it wouldn't install.
In that case MC may be better served to use the versions Mozilla uses for its own builds. (I really don't know what could go wrong there, but it works fine on Android 4.1.)
Thanks for your efforts, I think it's great that you worked on this. Hopefully you'll be able to work with Moonchild on the Android deployment.

If we get an Android version of PM, I'll contact Moonchild about an easy and effective (also free) mobile style for phpBB3 forums. I implemented on my forums and it works great on mobile devices (and you can't beat the price!).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 13:03

Well so far I've had to kick Ubuntu and will have to redo the build environment again. It's so fragile; I got one stall on the java installer download and it completely broke dpkg, java, and other parts of the build system. So I'll have to do it from scratch and hope I won't get another internet hiccup.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 13:24

I personally did that on CentOS... did you follow the instructions I posted?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 13:43

access2godzilla wrote:I personally did that on CentOS... did you follow the instructions I posted?
Well since you said to look at the wiki instructions page, I assumed you used ubuntu.
If I can use CentOS, then all the better.
Off-topic:
I can't stand later Ubuntu interfaces anyway. You have to kind of know what you have installed if you want to use it. Took me 15 minutes before I figured out I had to use search to open a terminal window...!? wtf were they thinking no longer having an application menu?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 14:23

Any distro should be fine but it's preferable that you use a VM with ample resources allocated to it (or install it on the bare metal), otherwise expect the emulators to take at least ten minutes just to boot.
Off-topic:
Canonical is planning on Ubuntu phones, so I don't have great expectations from them. There are other respins like Xubuntu (XFCE) though, which are much more usable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 14:24

My build VMs all get 4GB to play with by default. more if needed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 14:44

You'll have to help me with something:
Get the JDK from Oracle (registration required) or from here or here. Download the file jdk-6u45-linux-<arch>.bin and install it by executing it.
Executing the bin gets me an unpacked version in jdk1.6.* but it doesn't actually install anything. It puts together the .jars of the JRE but that's it.
Nothing gets put in /usr/java or the likes. How do i install this thing?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 15:27

Now, that's too less info to say anything. Did you run it as root? Where does it put things in? What are its contents?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 15:37

access2godzilla wrote:Now, that's too less info to say anything. Did you run it as root? Where does it put things in? What are its contents?
Downloaded the .bin as stated
chmoded +x
"sudo" ran it (so effectively as root)
it unpacks into jdk1.0.6_45/ and creates jre jar files
contents of that are:

Code: Select all

[moonchild@localhost jdk1.6.0_45]$ ls -l
total 18700
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root     4096 Mar 27  2013 bin
-r--r--r--. 1 root root     3339 Mar 26  2013 COPYRIGHT
drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root     4096 Mar 27  2013 db
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root     4096 Mar 27  2013 include
drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root     4096 Jun 13 16:35 jre
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root     4096 Jun 13 16:35 lib
-r--r--r--. 1 root root       40 Mar 26  2013 LICENSE
drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root     4096 Mar 27  2013 man
-r--r--r--. 1 root root      115 Mar 26  2013 README.html
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 18936969 Mar 26  2013 src.zip
-r--r--r--. 1 root root   168902 Mar 26  2013 THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt
And doesn't do anything else that I can see.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-13, 15:53

I don't know, really, since what you showed me is the content of one package inside the file, not even the entire thing. You're using the right file, I hope?

Here how it looks like up here:

Code: Select all

[a2g@localhost Downloads]$ wget http://10.0.2.2/files/software/linux/jdk-6u45-linux-i586-rpm.bin 2>/dev/null
[a2g@localhost Downloads]$ chmod +x ./jdk-6u45-linux-i586-rpm.bin 
[a2g@localhost Downloads]$ su -c ./jdk-6u45-linux-i586-rpm.bin 
Password: 
Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
UnZipSFX 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
  inflating: jdk-6u45-linux-i586.rpm  
  inflating: sun-javadb-common-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm  
  inflating: sun-javadb-core-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm  
  inflating: sun-javadb-client-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm  
  inflating: sun-javadb-demo-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm  
  inflating: sun-javadb-docs-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm  
  inflating: sun-javadb-javadoc-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm  
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:jdk                    ########################################### [100%]
Unpacking JAR files...
	rt.jar...
	jsse.jar...
	charsets.jar...
	tools.jar...
	localedata.jar...
	plugin.jar...
	javaws.jar...
	deploy.jar...
Installing JavaDB
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:sun-javadb-common      ########################################### [ 17%]
   2:sun-javadb-core        ########################################### [ 33%]
   3:sun-javadb-client      ########################################### [ 50%]
   4:sun-javadb-demo        ########################################### [ 67%]
   5:sun-javadb-docs        ########################################### [ 83%]
   6:sun-javadb-javadoc     ########################################### [100%]

Done.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-13, 16:29

Well I went to the download location that didn't require registering/logging in http://ghaffarian.net/downloads/Java/JDK/ A little shy of 70 MB
The one I grabbed was jdk-6u45-linux-i586.bin (doesn't include -rpm in the file name)

I've gone to the second alt mirror you had and grabbed the -rpm one, and lo and behold, it was fine. so the first one was a bunch of bad packages.