Building PM on Android

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
access2godzilla

Re: Building PM on Android

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-14, 10:48

This is another test build, hopefully this will identify itself as "Pale Moon" instead of "Firefox" and internally as "moonchild.palemoon" instead of "org.mozilla.firefox*". Please test this thing (I can't because I don't have my device at this moment), if it works I'll post the changed source files.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/trm1zgrf3dj2x/palemoon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-14, 11:48

I've pulled it over to my Denver TAC-80011 Android 4.0 tablet and it runs like a charm - If you can submit the source tree changes, I can work on properly changing other parts of the branding to bring it in line with Pale Moon proper.

I've also been able to successfully complete a build process from the raw tree so I think I have a working build environment now (just made a clone of the Linux build VM and added the necessary SDKs which seems to have worked) allowing me to build these releases in the future.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-06-14, 12:10

access2godzilla wrote:This is another test build, hopefully this will identify itself as "Pale Moon" instead of "Firefox" and internally as "moonchild.palemoon" instead of "org.mozilla.firefox*". Please test this thing (I can't because I don't have my device at this moment), if it works I'll post the changed source files.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/trm1zgrf3dj2x/palemoon
Loaded it on my Tab2 7.0, runs great! Still has a bit of FF branding (about screen, etc.), but the app itself comes up as Palemoon with the Moon icon. Great work!

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-06-14, 13:47

this build works on my Galaxy nexus too!
tmp_Screenshot_2014-06-14-09-35-02-1656781685.png
On the top bar, you'll notice that the FF mini-icon is still displayed. But so far PM4A has run without crash on both of my devices... sweet!!! :thumbup: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-14, 23:04

By the way, for the people that asked - it will have an option in Settings -> Content to reflow on double-tap. This is off by default, but easy to enable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-15, 05:48

Seems like it identifies itself as "Palemoon" instead of "Pale Moon", MC will have to check which one of MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME or brandShortName is responsible for this. about:buildconfig shows the package successfully having the ID moonchild.palemoon (although maybe org.palemoon.mobile is a better name?)

Rest of the Firefox branding resides in mobile/android/themes/core/images and mobile/android/base/resources/drawable-*dpi.
Moonchild wrote:Settings -> Content to reflow on double-tap. This is off by default, but easy to enable.
Works nothing like Opera mobile. Can't say about the new Opera mobile(Webkit/Blink), but do try the "Mobile Classic" (Presto) version on a smartphone. (Use the NDK emulators for this, if you don't have one.)

I would actually like to see PM to become somewhat like "Mobile classic", but that is the subject of another post that will be made some time later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-06-15, 09:44

Thanks for the build! Regular browsing seems to work great on my HP Touchpad tablet running Android 4.4.2. No crashes so far.

However, I get no picture on HTML5 videos - tried a couple videos on http://www.liveleak.com/ and they ran with blank picture with audio. These videos seem to run just fine on the stock browser.

Edit: I can't get sync to work - it pairs with my account but I don't see any data (tabs, history, bookmarks) on the tablet.

matejdro

Unread post by matejdro » 2014-06-15, 12:09

access2godzilla wrote:Works nothing like Opera mobile. Can't say about the new Opera mobile(Webkit/Blink), but do try the "Mobile Classic" (Presto) version on a smartphone. (Use the NDK emulators for this, if you don't have one.)
Main difference is that opera has reflow on pinch to zoom, where firefox is only double tap meaning you have 2 fixed zoom options to read text on.

Yeah Opera is the king of the reflow. New webkit version works fine too. But personally I don't need opera style one, old Firefox one was fine.

But yeah please create thread about this I kinda feel bad spamming dev thread here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-15, 12:22

fehmi wrote:Edit: I can't get sync to work - it pairs with my account but I don't see any data (tabs, history, bookmarks) on the tablet.
You're probably still syncing against the firefox server. That won't work. You need to manually enter the custom server for Pale Moon until that's fixed.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-06-15, 12:38

Moonchild wrote:
fehmi wrote:Edit: I can't get sync to work - it pairs with my account but I don't see any data (tabs, history, bookmarks) on the tablet.
You're probably still syncing against the firefox server. That won't work. You need to manually enter the custom server for Pale Moon until that's fixed.
Reminder, the PM custom server address is: https://sync.palemoon.net/

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-06-15, 13:29

x-15a2 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
Reminder, the PM custom server address is: https://sync.palemoon.net/
I have tried pairing both with the code and through the advanced setup, but I couldn't get either of them to work. I am using the new sync server on my desktop and when I enter the code displayed on my tablet, the account is set up but I cannot have any data synced. I also tried the advanced setup method - when I enter my account details, nothing happens when I choose to connect. Maybe I am doing something wrong here but I use the custom Pale Moon sync server on iCabMobile on my iPhone and it syncs without any problems.

I don't want to hijack this development thread and turn it into a tech support question. Sorry about that!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-15, 14:36

You'll have to hold off on your support requests until there's some semblance of a release.