browser for old system

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
mike236

Re: browser for old system

Unread post by mike236 » 2020-08-07, 07:05

Any developers here who can help me with that project ? Fennec browser got installed on 2 even though it is for 4.1+ and it opens most sites !

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-07, 07:23

mike236 wrote:
2020-08-07, 07:05
Any developers here who can help me with that project ? Fennec browser got installed on 2 even though it is for 4.1+ and it opens most sites !
No.
We no longer have mobile browser code in our tree, and the android-specific considerations in UXP are slated for removal. Issue #1053 (UXP)

By the way, Firefox for Android has internally always been called "Fennec".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-07, 13:49

A lot of android support has already been ripped out and the rest will follow eventually.

You'll never be able to put it back in. Too much has changed since then.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-10, 06:27

Moonchild wrote:
2020-08-06, 11:13
What's next, a version of Pale Moon for Windows 98
Off-topic:
"What's next"?

Wait... you're telling me that this isn't a legitimate version of Pale Moon that I've been using?

:|

:?

:o

Does that mean that the DOS version of Pale Moon is illegitimate too?!
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-10, 06:36

Off-topic:
Tharthan wrote:
2020-08-10, 06:27
Wait... you're telling me that this isn't a legitimate version of Pale Moon that I've been using?
If it has official branding, then yes!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JoseSv

Unread post by JoseSv » 2021-01-30, 18:08

I think it would make sense to revive xp and android 1 by creating a maintained browser for them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-30, 19:05

JoseSv wrote:
2021-01-30, 18:08
I think it would make sense to revive xp and android 1 by creating a maintained browser for them.
Actually, that would make absolutely NO sense.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-30, 19:11

Off-topic:
Why, he is bachelor degree in Tecnology. He know best.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-30, 21:41

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-01-30, 19:11
Why, he is bachelor degree in Tecnology. He know best.
Let's not judge people by their limited English, shall we?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-01, 01:29

Why stop at XP? Let's go back to Windows 3.1 or MSDOS while we're at it, along with NCSA Mosaic :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonbird

Unread post by Moonbird » 2021-02-01, 07:39

@JoseSv: For very old systems with XP, this is unfortunately the wrong forum, as the Pale Moon developers have to focus their energy to make the browser run on more current operating systems. Maybe you'll find some help in the MSFN forum.(https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... ds-part-2/)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-01, 08:27

If you want to run corrupted half-assed build full of compromises that is literally old and insecure.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2021-02-04, 10:07

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-06, 09:38
The team simply lacks the resources to maintain the browser on Android that too after the switch to UXP from version 27 onwards. Right now on Android I would ironically recommend Fennec, a Firefox build with all the tracking stripped out, and it supports whatever mobile targeted web extensions are there on the Firefox addons site.
For current apps and old android you will need a different source than fdroid because fdroid is moving their compiled apps to Android 5.

Asking for Android 1 compatibility maybe it too much, but I am sure that most opensource android apps can be at least android 4 compatible.

Time ago, PM was a great solution for Android 4 devices.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2021-02-04, 10:12

moonbat wrote:
2021-02-01, 01:29
Why stop at XP? Let's go back to Windows 3.1 or MSDOS while we're at it, along with NCSA Mosaic :roll:
Note that DOS compatibility is still alive through an alive OS called FreeDOS and WindowsXP compatibility is offered by ReactOS; another alive freeOS.

The more the merrier!
BTW in the good times of Firefox there was not a single platform without a mozilla fork (official or unofficial).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-04, 10:21

dapgo wrote:
2021-02-04, 10:12
Note that DOS compatibility is still alive through an alive OS called FreeDOS and WindowsXP compatibility is offered by ReactOS; another alive freeOS.
Those are actual maintained alternatives, nobody sane is actually using the original MSDOS and Windows XP for contemporary use cases or in the latter case, to connect to the internet. It's beyond retarded to stick on stubbornly to an obsolete and closed source operating system, that too when there's a better version (7) of the same operating system, let alone expect support for an illegal hack job of a browser from the official forums of said browser as has been happening if you care to search the forums for MSFN and New Moon or whatever they call it.
dapgo wrote:
2021-02-04, 10:07
Android 4 was retired about 8 years ago. There is even less of an excuse for sticking around with a phone that ancient when you can get any number of dirt cheap budget Androids that are much more current.

There just isn't going to be a PM for Android at this point so no use talking about it. I'll revise my older recommendation from Fennec (since Mozilla, true to form, fucked it up even further by again dropping support for most extensions) to IceRaven.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2021-02-04, 13:52

Off-topic:
I just told you that this platforms are still alive, and if some people want to use the non supported WindowsXP it is just their problem and probably they know why the use.

You also speak about stopping using phones with Android 4 because they are insecure, but maybe there is nothing to protect, it is just second phone used to listen podcasts or control the infrared tv.

Are you throwing to the bin your phone when it stops receiving security updates?
Because for most android devices the life would not be longer than a year.

What about cars? Should the smash every car without ABS or older than 5 years?

Life is no a secure place. ;)
moonbat wrote:
2021-02-04, 10:21
dapgo wrote:
2021-02-04, 10:12
Those are actual maintained alternatives, nobody sane is actually using the original MSDOS and Windows XP for contemporary use cases or in the latter case, to connect to the internet. It's beyond retarded to stick on stubbornly to an obsolete and closed source operating system, that too when there's a better version (7) of the same operating system, let alone expect support for an illegal hack job of a browser from the official forums of said browser as has been happening if you care to search the forums for MSFN and New Moon or whatever they call it.

dapgo wrote:
2021-02-04, 10:07
Android 4 was retired about 8 years ago. There is even less of an excuse for sticking around with a phone that ancient when you can get any number of dirt cheap budget Androids that are much more current.

There just isn't going to be a PM for Android at this point so no use talking about it. I'll revise my older recommendation from Fennec (since Mozilla, true to form, fucked it up even further by again dropping support for most extensions) to IceRaven.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-04, 14:05

dapgo wrote:
2021-02-04, 13:52
I just told you that this platforms are still alive, and if some people want to use the non supported WindowsXP it is just their problem and probably they know why the use.
Then those people should keep to themselves and stop bothering developers of more current software to support them, as is often observed here.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-07, 17:05

JoseSv wrote:
2021-01-30, 18:08
Agreed, why hasn't moonchild worked on msdos as a target also? and windows 1.0?

palemoon should be forced to support all operating systems no matter how old or insecure they are!

And with that lunacy out of the way... :P

I just smile to myself at how absurd that sounds.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-07, 17:20

Well that's the thing as the years long campaign is that we ourselves are Old and Insecure THUS we must support things that are Old and Insecure by default right?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-02-07, 17:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-02-07, 17:20
Well that's the thing as the years long campaign is that we ourselves are Old and Insecure THUS we must support things that are Old and Insecure by default right?
Hmm in my mind there is nothing wrong with something being old. 8-) .Not sure why the term "old" is somehow classed as a derogatory term. :shock:

Secure is purely subjective. :eh:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1