Is there any hope to ever see an android port of palemoon?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
Andrew Herbert
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Is there any hope to ever see an android port of palemoon?

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2019-11-29, 00:03

As far as I can see, a Pale Moon Sync add-on for Firefox for Android would be feasible.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-29, 05:42

Unfortunately, you have no idea what you are talking about. But welcome never the less.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-29, 09:35

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2019-11-29, 00:03
As far as I can see, a Pale Moon Sync add-on for Firefox for Android would be feasible.
I don't think WebExtensions have access to the necessary APIs to do this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2019-12-11, 04:38

I currently use Bromite, which runs way faster than any version of Firefox I've ever used on Android. Don't see the point of a Pale Moon fork just for browser history and syncing passwords when it's way easier to run KeepassDX and regularly update a desktop KeePass file and transfer it over to my phone to hold passwords in a much more secure encrypted way. Especially considering even non-Google forks of Android like GrapheneOS have their own hardened browsers like Vanadium, what's the lane that a Pale Moon fork would serve on Android? There's not even a Gecko webview implementation, and Firefox runs like absolute crap on Android. Bromite blocks javascript and ads on mobile, and it doesn't have the Google stuff. Good enough for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-11, 11:48

Baloo wrote:
2019-12-11, 04:38
KeePass file and transfer it over to my phone to hold passwords in a much more secure encrypted way.
Pale Moon Sync is perfectly secure. I'd be careful stating this kind of thing because you're (probably unintentionally) saying that it's less secure than KeePass.
Does KeePass allow you to recover passwords when you have lost your device, by using server interaction only with account credentials (login)? Then KeePass is very likely less secure than Pale Moon Sync.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-12-12, 01:01

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-11, 11:48
Pale Moon Sync is perfectly secure. I'd be careful stating this kind of thing because you're (probably unintentionally) saying that it's less secure than KeePass.
Does KeePass allow you to recover passwords when you have lost your device, by using server interaction only with account credentials (login)? Then KeePass is very likely less secure than Pale Moon Sync.
Off-topic:
As I understand it, KeePass encrypts and stores passwords into a database file, which can only be recovered with the master password or key file you choose to encrypt it with. There is no recovery from a server because it's not stored on a server or associated with an account (unless you explicitly put it on a server that you have an account with, and even then you still need the key to access its contents). If you lose the device with that file and didn't make backups elsewhere, it's gone.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

IMNdi
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by IMNdi » 2019-12-28, 12:41

Thank you all (I guess) for the alternatives but I was looking specifically for a PM product.

I am aware of BitWarden, it has drawbacks in that you have to

a) manually put your passwords there, as opposed to PM which picks them up as you use it.
b) PM also syncs to other PMs in the same hive and I am not sure what effects having multiple sync systems will do, for example, if someone saves a password by mistake in a PM hive you can delete it (and have it sync) whereas if someone also syncs (I assume automatically) to BitWarden then that password cannot be retrieved without the permission of the BW account. I am not a fan of multiple managers.
c) I have to import/export passwords and depend on another service that has my passwords. All the trust in the world is not going to make up for multiple failure points. I already had them in PM, FFX, Chrome and now BW. At this point anything less than 2-factor is too lax and have you ever tried to convince non-IT people to do 2-factor?
d) Does not work and, polite as they were, don't think it will ever work with PM.

I guess most of these would be mitigated by complete movement to BW, but it is nowhere near as convenient as PM. Nor do I trust password managers, they have what is the modern equivalent of a mountain of gold and a "trust me bro". I am aware that I can run my own server but it looks non trivial.

My main issue is that I help people that I convinced to move their teams to PM and the PM hives (even migrated the data to PM) and while it works well (thank) I have a whale of a time supporting them because the only way to see the data is via PC that runs PM that is in the hive.

I assumed that the codebase for sync is fairly minimal and that in theory it could be fixed/maintained with minimal hassle seeing how the protocol itself is not very dynamic.

If it is not, then so be it.

-----------

Random thought: If BW is secure and open, can I link my BW account to my Weave?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-28, 12:59

It is very possible to write something that will be able to use the Pale Moon Sync service (or other weave-compliant servers) to synchronize data on mobile with Pale Moon on desktop; the protocol is very mature and stable. There would also be very little issue hooking that into the official Pale Moon Sync service (although if a larger amount of service clients is involved, please discuss this with me).
But it would require creating a client for it on mobile. I'm not sure if Web Extensions for other browsers on mobile would have the required API access to do such a thing, though.

It'll take someone to dedicate some time to this question to research and build.