PM+LineageOS: Add-ons?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
anarchotaoist

PM+LineageOS: Add-ons?

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-06, 11:14

Hello!
I just installed PM on LineageOS. Yay! Is it possible to install addons? I clicked install on a Mozzilla extension and it apparently installed - but I cannot find any access to it! Is it in there somewhere and accessible or did the file just aimlessly download to somewhere on my phone?
Thanks!

yami_

Re: PM+LineageOS: Add-ons?

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-06, 11:29

If the installation was successful installed add-on should appear in Tools > Add-ons list.
For example, this is how it looks on my phone:
My add-on list
My add-on list

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-07, 05:02

Hi Yami,

Unfortunately the mobile app does not appear to have the three dots. I cannot access tool-addons. Perhaps I need to find another PM version - or is there a way to activate access to settings? Thanks.

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-07, 05:38

It would seem I have the last PM mobile browser 25.9.6. What version are you using Yami?
Would using the sync tool also intall the addons or does it only work with bookmarks and history?
Thanks!
Last edited by anarchotaoist on 2018-06-07, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-07, 11:18

anarchotaoist wrote:What version are you using Yami?
I also use 25.9.6.
anarchotaoist wrote:Would using the sync tool also intall the addons or does it only work with bookmarks and history?
Sync can synchronize bookmarks, history, tabs, passwords and some preferences. I will not synchronize add-ons.
anarchotaoist wrote:is there a way to activate access to settings?
The "Your Add-ons" page an be accessed using about:addons url (you can actually see that on my screenshot). The 3-dots menu can be accessed using hardware (or software, again you can see on my screenshot) menu button.

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-07, 12:18

Hey Yami,

Thanks for your assistance. The about:addons url indeed works for me and show that of I have the addon installed. Unfortunately this is not enough. After enabling the addon it should take me to a sign up/sign in screen and give me a icon in the header for access. Neither happens. The addon in addons url has the options to enable/disable only.
Excuse my stupidity but can you clarify what you mean by- The 3-dots menu can be accessed using hardware (or software, again you can see on my screenshot) menu button.

On the top of the browser I have the url seach bar and the tabs opened ticker - nothing else!
I see in your screen shot you have back/forward button, reload button and the 3 dots. I have none of those! ?
Thanks!

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-07, 13:15

ok, I have discovered that I can access settings on the hardware - the actual physcial button on the android phone. (nb I am new to Android)
This however has got me no further. I cannot enable more functions for the toolbar -specifically add the extension icon to it.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-07, 13:45

anarchotaoist wrote:can you clarify what you mean by- The 3-dots menu can be accessed using hardware (or software, again you can see on my screenshot) menu button.
Here is a photo with a hardware menu button marked:
source: https://www.digitallife.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/android-menu-button.jpg
When Andorid 3 was being developed Google decided that their mobile OS should not depend on hardware navigation buttons. The proposed alternative to the menu button was the action overflow button, aka. 3-dots menu. For compatibility reasons when you click the menu button 3-dots menu will be shown. Some phones, including my Sony E6853, have the navigation bar displayed on the screen. This "virtual" navigation bar can emulate the menu button (the 3 dots icon on my phone navigation bar is the menu button).
anarchotaoist wrote: On the top of the browser I have the url seach bar and the tabs opened ticker - nothing else!
I see in your screen shot you have back/forward button, reload button and the 3 dots. I have none of those! ?
The address bar layout depends on your phone's screen DPI. Android calls this display size. I have this set to smallest, so my address bar looks like this:
PM4A, when "display size" is set to "smallest"
PM4A, when "display size" is set to "smallest"
If you set display size to smaller, small, default or large the address bar will change its look:
PM4A, when "display size" is not "smallest"
PM4A, when "display size" is not "smallest"
This second variant is probably more similar to what you see.
Maybe you could try changing the display size (On my phone Settings > Display > Display size)?

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-07, 14:26

Thanks so much for the screen shots and explanation.
It all makes a lot more sense now!
That all helped - somewhat!
The Display at the smallest brought up the back button. Reducing the font size right down brought up the forward and reload button too.
(The whole display became miniature and unusable too)
Unfortunately no addon access appeared in the toolbar!
I still cannot get the feature I want.
Thanks all the same and for all your effort!
Much appreciated!

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-07, 15:02

anarchotaoist wrote:Unfortunately no addon access appeared in the toolbar!
AFAIK PM4A add-ons can't modify the toolbar. Most mobile add-ons that I have used add-on manager options or had a button in 3-dots menu, like uBlock Origin:
uBlock's menu item
uBlock's menu item
What add-on are you trying to install?

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-09, 12:35

I am trying to install Abine maskme - which is deprecated, but still works really well on the Palemoon desktop browser. It would be great to have it in the Palemoon Android browser too. The new version Blur is only designed for the proprietary browsers.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-09, 15:40

It seems that this add-on is not compatible with PM4A and Fennec. Unfortunately add-ons need to support mobile version of the browser explicitly. This particular add-on uses XUL overlay to add a button to a toolbar. This is not supported in Fennec and its derivatives. Also it does not list Fennec as a target application in install.rdf. This alone should block the installation.
Off-topic:
Fennec is a codename for Firefox for Android

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2018-06-10, 09:33

ok, thanks Yami!

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-11, 17:34

No problem. At least we have managed to enable the 3-dots menu.