Building Pale Moon for Android

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
sigsauerp320

Building Pale Moon for Android

Unread post by sigsauerp320 » 2017-10-29, 21:22

I cannot get the compiler to build an APK from the Pale Moon Android Github source code. I am using Linux Mint 64 bit and have done all the requirements. I am using GCC 4.7, Android-ndk-r8e, and all the dev libraries with jdk1.6.0_45 configured with my bash profile. When I go ./build mach

Code: Select all

0:05.96 configure:16060: checking for application to build
 0:05.96 configure:16218: checking if app-specific confvars.sh exists
 0:05.96 configure: error: The given Android SDK provides API level 19 (20 or higher required).
 0:05.96 *** Fix above errors and then restart with\
 0:05.96                "/usr/bin/make -f client.mk build"
 0:05.96 /home/deadmau5/Documents/Pale-Moon/client.mk:362: recipe for target 'configure' failed
 0:05.96 make[2]: *** [configure] Error 1
 0:05.96 /home/deadmau5/Documents/Pale-Moon/client.mk:376: recipe for target '/home/deadmau5/Documents/Makefile' failed
 0:05.96 make[1]: *** [/home/deadmau5/Documents/Makefile] Error 2
 0:05.96 client.mk:171: recipe for target 'build' failed
 0:05.96 make: *** [build] Error 2
 0:05.97 0 compiler warnings present.
The API level needs to be 20? For the lulz, I installed API level 21. This ended up breaking a lot of files and the whole program really dropped the ball.
Here is my mozconfig as well.

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --enable-application=mobile/android
ac_add_options --target=arm-linux-androideabi

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR="/home/deadmau5/Documents/pmbuild"

ac_add_options --with-android-gnu-compiler-version=4.7
ac_add_options --with-android-version=14
ac_add_options --with-system-zlib

ac_add_options --with-branding=mobile/android/branding/beta

ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-updater

ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-debug-symbols
ac_add_options --disable-mochitests

ac_add_options --enable-strip

ac_add_options --with-android-ndk="/usr/android-ndk-r8e"
ac_add_options --with-android-sdk="/usr/sdk-tools/platforms/android-19"
Someone should just make an ISO ready to roll to start programming Pale Moon for Android. All you would have to do is throw the ISO in a VM and be ready to go!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Building Pale Moon for Android

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-29, 21:29

sigsauerp320 wrote:The API level needs to be 20? For the lulz, I installed API level 21. This ended up breaking a lot of files and the whole program really dropped the ball.
If you're trying to build Pale Moon 27 for Android, you're really in completely untested waters. I don't expect it to build out of the box.
sigsauerp320 wrote:Someone should just make an ISO ready to roll to start programming Pale Moon for Android. All you would have to do is throw the ISO in a VM and be ready to go!
You're such a joker ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kevopa

Unread post by kevopa » 2017-11-01, 07:57

sigsauerp320 wrote:The API level needs to be 20? For the lulz, I installed API level 21. This ended up breaking a lot of files and the whole program really dropped the ball.
Moonchild wrote:You're such a joker ;)
Docker container can definitely be made for compiling once environment for compilation is figured out. In fact why this is not done for Linux builds?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-01, 10:55

kevopa wrote:In fact why this is not done for Linux builds?
:roll: On Linux they'd need to compile native to the target distro.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kevopa

Unread post by kevopa » 2017-11-03, 16:58

for making cross distribtuion build like official build docker container containing centos with all other tools installed will be very helpful

sigsauerp320

Unread post by sigsauerp320 » 2017-11-03, 22:48

I will look into trying to get a Pale Moon v27 Android build environment on CentOS. I will also look into getting Basilisk to have an Android version as well. I have been studying up on Firefox for Android. Here is a link that might help anyone who is attempting to do the same thing: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Simple_Firefox_for_Android_build.

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-11-07, 09:38

sigsauerp320
your configs settings helping, thanks, I am trying to build for android too, but do not want bother with linux, found that is android ndk for windows

sigsauerp320

Unread post by sigsauerp320 » 2017-11-13, 18:57

Fedor2
I would go ahead and try to see if you can build it on Windows. I know that Microsoft is starting to add support for Linux programs officially with their Windows 10 operating system.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2017-11-16, 03:11

Thanks for trying this. I would love to see a new build of Pale Moon for Android.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2017-11-20, 14:29

Baloo wrote:I would love to see a new build of Pale Moon for Android.
Yep, I can understand, though with Android being what it is, unless the APK is signed with the same certificate as the older version, it wouldn't be possible to update from v25. Even then, I do have PM for Android on my phone and tablet from when it was still available on the Play Store, and keep that for if I need to access a synced tab or bookmark.
I just use Firefox Focus for the time being, even though it places a "SEARCH PRIVATELY" option in the clipboard menu which is rather annoying because I already have DuckDuckGo set as my Android "search assistant".

Even then, the only time I will use Firefox (on Android) is if someone creates an extension (or unofficial build) that hijacks the "Firefox Accounts" and "Firefox Sync" features. I did hear about the new "Firefox Quantum", but haven't tried it yet, and I assume it's interface is not as customisable as Pale Moon's interface. One of the reasons why I don't use the stock "Internet" browser on my Samsung phone is because I'm not a fan of (most of) their UI design, and their own theme engine doesn't cover it.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-03-29, 12:52

@Fedor2 so you are trying to build PM for Android, aren´t you?
It would be super great to have a newer version of PM for Android, for many Android v4 devices Firefox or Chrome are too heavy and unresponsive whereas PM for Android was smooth.

If you need some economical support for your work, you can paypal or other rewarding system. Beside me, I think there are quite a lot of people in need of a light weight firefox for Android.

Fedor2 wrote:sigsauerp320
your configs settings helping, thanks, I am trying to build for android too, but do not want bother with linux, found that is android ndk for windows

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-03-29, 22:16

My android research is now stall. Simple no time, but i bear in mind, if will be no android version out with new uxp, i shall continue eventually.