End of life?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

End of life?

Unread post by Ozzed » 2017-10-20, 14:54

Hello!

With regards to this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17097 Does this mean that Pale Moon will have no Android Version?

I use my cellphone and my desktop in sync... So for me, the two browsers are as one, almost... Is there another browser that can sync with Pale Moon? If not.. Does this mean that the sync functionality will be removed as well, since there's no use for it now?

What is the way forward if I want to use pale moon on all my devices? Can I just keep using the existing version on Android? Will Sync still work I mean?

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: End of life?

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-10-20, 16:07

AFAIK Android never was fully supported. Pale Moon has supported versions for Windows and Linux. I'm pretty sure Sync will remain, because it's useful if you are dual-booting or using more than one computer.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2017-10-20, 16:36

mr tribute wrote:AFAIK Android never was fully supported. Pale Moon has supported versions for Windows and Linux. I'm pretty sure Sync will remain, because it's useful if you are dual-booting or using more than one computer.
I suppose that would be a useful thing. i didn't think of that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 17:37

We may be able to get back to having an Android version in the future, but there hasn't been any development or maintenance on the current version out there for a long while now, and there has been 0 interest from anyone else wanting to pick it up (and our core team simply doesn't have the time/capacity to release Android versions). What will be removed is the ancient version that's floating out there now because it's simply unsafe to use and should not be continued to be published. So like other old versions that will be pulled from anywhere but the archives where they belong, the Android version will also be pulled.

Sync will remain in place. Any other weave/Mozilla sync 1.1 capable mobile browser can be used with the Pale Moon Sync service, as long as the client does not cause problems with the service. Otherwise, Sync will be present for synchronizing between desktop installations.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mechatherium

Unread post by Mechatherium » 2017-10-20, 19:30

This is so bad. Does anybody have a browser they recommend? Pale Moon works great for me for general browsing.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-10-21, 03:35

I am in the same boat here.

Firefox just crawls like a turtle for show a webpage even with uOrigin installed. Dolphin and Opera want to route all my traffic across their IPs, the first break page load as the servers are in some place of China. The second is slow and demands lots of addons to be installed. I don't want to install Chrome and get spied in my mobile browsing, so I need some suggestions of browsers for old versions of Android. All my phones are 4.4.2 and I cannot have the luxury to buy a "newer" phone.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-21, 04:14

I have had the same problem but found a solution.

I had a back up copy of Opera Beta 27.0.1698

This particular version is one of the Best Opera ever came out with in my humble opinion and it is
the only Android browser I will use.

Here is a link for this particular version.
http://www.androidapksfree.com/apk/oper ... -download/

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-21, 07:27

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I have had the same problem but found a solution.

I had a back up copy of Opera Beta 27.0.1698
But that beta build doesnt get update, does it?
So you stay with a unpatched browser.
No solution

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-21, 14:07

An ancient version of Opera beta is no solution either.

It's also not the case that Pale Moon for Android will suddenly stop working when you already have it installed. If you already have it, you can keep using it for as long as you want.

Please understand what I said: it will be unpublished from the Play Store. This means that people will not be presented with an obsolete version of Pale Moon when they are looking for NEW software to install.
People who want it for some reason can still get and install it by sideloading. It'll still be available, just not discoverable through the normal channels because it shouldn't be offered as a "current" version of the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-21, 16:40

But that beta build doesnt get update, does it?
So you stay with a unpatched browser.
No solution
The fact is, I barely use it. And I don't do anything important on it. So no big deal.

I'll take that over the crap they are putting out these days.

I need something I can use, not something that uses me.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2017-10-22, 17:57

Moonchild wrote:We may be able to get back to having an Android version in the future, but there hasn't been any development or maintenance on the current version out there for a long while now, and there has been 0 interest from anyone else wanting to pick it up (and our core team simply doesn't have the time/capacity to release Android versions). What will be removed is the ancient version that's floating out there now because it's simply unsafe to use and should not be continued to be published. So like other old versions that will be pulled from anywhere but the archives where they belong, the Android version will also be pulled.

Sync will remain in place. Any other weave/Mozilla sync 1.1 capable mobile browser can be used with the Pale Moon Sync service, as long as the client does not cause problems with the service. Otherwise, Sync will be present for synchronizing between desktop installations.
I was under the impression that PM and FF now use different sync-servers. But are you saying that I could install Firefox for android and have it synced with my desktop installation of Pale Moon? If yes, will this work "out of the box" or do I need to take any extra steps to get it up and running?

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-10-22, 21:35

If it was guide on making for android. For begining you post how that old Palemoon was built, will be helping, then we can start building 27. At least i shall try, and only on my freetime, i cannot be involved much.

KrzysiekJ

Unread post by KrzysiekJ » 2017-10-23, 11:48

Would it be difficult to create an addon for Firefox that restores support for Weave 1.1?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-01-25, 14:18

Mechatherium wrote:This is so bad. Does anybody have a browser they recommend? Pale Moon works great for me for general browsing.
You might have a look at "Samsung Internet". I'm pretty sure that the latest versions can be used on any phone that runs Android 5 or above.

I'm an "ABC" person (Anything But Chrome), and on my Samsung Note 4 running Android 6.0.1, I'm very happy with Samsung Internet v. 7.0.10.21, which I think is the latest beta.

In regard to security of Samsung Internet, I can't say anything at all. Good luck.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-25, 18:38

Ozzed wrote:I was under the impression that PM and FF now use different sync-servers.
They are, and they are using essentially different TYPES of servers, as well (don't be fooled by Mozilla calling Firefox Accounts "Sync 1.5" as opposed to our "Sync 1.1" -- the two are completely different!
Ozzed wrote:But are you saying that I could install Firefox for android and have it synced with my desktop installation of Pale Moon?
That is not at all what I was saying.
I was saying that OTHER clients that are Sync 1.1 compatible can use our server (the Pale Moon Sync server) on mobile aside from Pale Moon for Android, provided that they don't cause issues with our service. Mobile FF is obviously not Sync 1.1 compatible (or maybe it still is if you manually configure it, I don't know -- I don't use Fennec)

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-26, 05:18

Do you know of any specific examples of other Weave/Sync 1.1-compatible clients?

TopCat

Unread post by TopCat » 2018-05-13, 21:59

So, could you suggest any Sync 1.1 compatible Android browser?

On another note, how can the "ancient Android Palemoon version" be reconfigured for the new Palemoon sync server URL?
- the "about:config" interface doesn't seem to have access to this setting.

surge666666

Unread post by surge666666 » 2018-05-19, 22:23

Hello Moonchild.
I said it before,& I will say it again. We desperately need Pale Moon for Android!
I know you don't have any real help when it comes to coding,but I wish you could still somehow support PM on Android.

Chiriftce

Unread post by Chiriftce » 2018-05-31, 07:01

surge666666 wrote:Hello Moonchild.
I said it before,& I will say it again. We desperately need Pale Moon for Android!
I know you don't have any real help when it comes to coding,but I wish you could still somehow support PM on Android.
+1 to this. It would be nice to have.

bofis
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by bofis » 2018-06-19, 01:51

TopCat wrote:So, could you suggest any Sync 1.1 compatible Android browser?

On another note, how can the "ancient Android Palemoon version" be reconfigured for the new Palemoon sync server URL?
- the "about:config" interface doesn't seem to have access to this setting.
THIS! I came here looking for the same thing, is there some way, with root even, to change the sync server setting on Android?