Pale Moon on iOS?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
BenlyHar

Pale Moon on iOS?

Unread post by BenlyHar » 2017-05-04, 11:47

I was thinking of getting it on my iPhone also. I am very much content with pale moon browser. Has anyone used it on iOS? Is it even available there?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon on iOS?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-04, 11:50

It's not available on iOS since iOS is a locked-down OS that does not allow custom web rendering engines.
At most, Pale Moon (like Firefox for iOS) would be a front-end shell for the iOS browser engine. There's not much point in doing that and you may as well use the native browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenlyHar

Unread post by BenlyHar » 2017-05-24, 06:33

Moonchild wrote:It's not available on iOS since iOS is a locked-down OS that does not allow custom web rendering engines.
At most, Pale Moon (like Firefox for iOS) would be a front-end shell for the iOS browser engine. There's not much point in doing that and you may as well use the native browser.
Oh, yes I am using safari. Chrome is not that good on iOS. Haven't used Firefox on iOS yet. I don't think it's available on AppStore. I am very content with pale moon though. That's why I asked. But no problems. You've explained the reason. :)

BenlyHar

Unread post by BenlyHar » 2017-07-07, 15:05

Are there any plans to make a move for it though? or the coding is can't be done on iOS platform?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-07-07, 16:51

I don't think coding is the issue. As Moonchild explained there is no point in developing a browser for iOS because you cannot use your own browser engine. So even if an effort is made to provide Pale Moon for iOS, at the end you would not get Pale Moon but Safari disguised as Pale Moon. All you would get is some superficial features of Pale Moon but not the real goodness for which Pale Moon is known. Not worth the effort!