Session restore.

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
surge666666

Session restore.

Unread post by surge666666 » 2017-03-16, 21:02

Hello.
I'm on amazon's kindle fire,& I'm using palemoon 25.9.6.
I just accidentally tapped on quit inside the three dot menu.Without a prompt the palemoon closed.
When I reopened it.All of my tabs are gone even though I had selected in the options to always restore my tabs.
Not that it would help much in this situation.

Is there any way to restore my session?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Session restore.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-16, 21:58

On the start page you have an option (underlined link) to show all tabs from the last session. Tap that link to restore the session tabs.

Quit in the menu is exactly supposed to work like that - it completely closes the application and unloads it from memory (as opposed to just suspending apps).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

surge666666

Unread post by surge666666 » 2017-03-17, 00:17

Hello Moonchild.
Thank you for the quick reply.

1.)Palemoon should not close without a prompt!
Please add a prompt whenever you get around to the next update.

2.)It did not first appear under the sync bar.It takes awhile for it to display.
Shouldn't this be on top so it can be clearly seen!?
Not to mention that you can not long tap on the links to get a "right click" menu to open them individually in new tabs.
I'm guessing that you are not going to include this in the next update!?Are you?

3.)I had a lot of tabs opened.(mostly pictures.)
So,it's almost impossible to reopen all of them due to kindle's limited memory.
Palemoon resizes from full screen to the middle of the screen like it had a mini crash without actually closing.
I think I got all of them back,but I'm not sure.I'm showing a much higher number of tabs then before the crash.
They must be duplicates since I tried to restore the session more than once!?

BTW,Palemoon doesn't show any numbers higher than 2 digits.
For example:if you have 100 tabs opened.It will appear as 10.
Please fix this in the next update.

Also,can you recommend a session restore add-on that will be compatible with Palemoon on kindle/droid?

4.)Palemoon has a tendency to go back to a previous page after these mini crashes.
For example:If I long tap on a picture within a page,& copy it's location.Then,paste/go the picture's url in the address bar.After the mini crash I'm back to the webpage,& the forward button doesn't respond.
Can you fix this in the next update!?

5.)Typing... (this is off topic,but since I have your attention.)
Typing is almost impossible in Palemoon!
For example:If I select a place to type especially within an existing text.
That place keeps randomly changing.So I accidentally end up typing in the middle of words,or I just delete parts of existing words.
It's like trying to control a runaway firehose.
Can you please do something about this in the next update?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-17, 13:11

1) You explicitly open the menu and explicitly tap quit. That is not a single operation and therefore should not require a prompt.
With the restoration of previous session tabs being simple, there is also no immediate danger of data loss even if it was a mistake.
So no, an extra "are you sure you are sure you want to close?" is unnecessary.

2) Pale Moon for Android is currently unmaintained.

3) Using a device with extremely limited resources in this manner isn't really something we can take into account.

4) See (2)

5) See (2)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

surge666666

Unread post by surge666666 » 2017-03-18, 20:57

Hello again Moonchild.
NO,I DID NOT DO THAT ON PURPOSE!
I wanted to tap on the uBlock Origin's option,& I missed.(It's wright below Quit.)
I don't think I need to tell you how easy it is to tap in the wrong place on mobile devices.

After checking the tabs,I was wright.I'm getting a lot of duplicates,but due to kindle's/droid's limited memory.It's impossible to restore the full session.
Doing one page at the time takes an incredibly long time to complete.The about:home page keeps reseting after I open each tab.Not to mention,the tabs/links are not even numbered.It's incredibly hard to find your last spot especially when a lot of tabs have the same name,or almost identical url.

Is there something in about:config that would stop the switch from about:home to whatever tab I open?

All of this is causing a lot of trouble!It will take me about a week to a week and a half to manually go through all of the tabs.

Unfortunately,yes you do need to consider the device's memory limitation.

Seriously,is there a session restore add-on that's compatible with the mobile Palemoon???

I know you are the only one doing all of the coding for both the desktop,& mobile Palemoon.
Sooo...You not coding everything from scratch!? Are you?
I'm sure you have a lot of templates where you can just insert menu names,or button combos.
Then,use another template for a standard pop up box,& insert the name for it like:are you sure you want to close Palemoon?
I'm sure this template has the standard two buttons like:yes,& cancel.
Even though it will take you no more than 20 minutes to do this.I'm not saying you should update Palemoon to 25.9.7 immediately.
I wouldn't want Palemoon to auto update,& loose my session.
Whenever you get around to releasing Palemoon 27 is fine.No hurry.

P.S.
I forgot to mention.
Copying text from the webpage is almost impossible as typing.(I think it's been mentioned in another thread here.)
Please put it into your to do list.
Again,no hurry.

surge666666

Unread post by surge666666 » 2017-03-19, 11:22

Just to correct my last post.
Copying text from the webpage is fine.

Copying text from the Page's source code is almost impossible.When I try to copy the code,the entire long line gets highlighted.(The ones that go far off screen to the right.)
Either that,or the entire paragraph gets highlighted.

When I try to copy text from a reply box.(Like the one I'm writing in wright now.)
Long tapping on the word doesn't highlight it.Instead I get that "right click" menu that gives me the option to:Select word.When I select the word,it becomes dehighlighted,& the on-screen keyboard pops up.
It'similar to this thread:Writing into search/address bar impossible.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14228
Selecting/highlighting parts of the text is impossible.Either the entire text gets highlighted,or everything to the end of the text gets highlighted.
Not to mention,that sometimes copying the text makes it completely disappear.It's like you deleted it,or selected cut.However,nothing is actually saved to the clipboard.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2017-04-28, 09:06

Here's the key: Pale Moon for Android is currently unmaintained.