Palemoon for Android

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
sp808

Palemoon for Android

Unread post by sp808 » 2017-02-09, 09:12

Does anybody use Palemoon for Android nowdays?
It seems that surfing with it becomes more painful and unsupported. I am thinking about migration to generic Firefox...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon for Android

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-09, 09:25

I still use it on my tablet.
It's not being maintained and yes, it will eventually fall behind in web compatibility. When there's time, making a new build based on Goanna/v27 is still slated, but otherwise will still be unsupported/unmaintained unless someone steps up for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sp808

Unread post by sp808 » 2017-02-09, 10:09

Using Palemoon on cellphone, as my primary browser. But not long ago I noticed that I begin to use plain Firefox more frequently due to compability reasons..

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2017-02-09, 11:28

Yes, still using it and finding very few incompatibility problems. But encouraging to know that an updated version may still happen at some point.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2017-02-09, 12:26

Seconding Falna there. Using it, and in general I don't run into incompatibilities. Then again, I only use it to browse a forum or two and checking the weather. :P

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-09, 21:03

Use it now since a long time and works so far, with little font icons problems.
But thats not a problem for me.

grumpid

Unread post by grumpid » 2017-02-26, 22:44

The excuse I have for using palemoon occasionally on an android device (non-rooted Lenovo 2014) is that it's slightly more resistant against wicked ad sites with an rather old version of ghostery (5.4*) - than FF or any other browser. And yes im a peculiar person > 60 :<;

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2017-06-01, 12:30

I am still using PM because i feel less impact in performance than using others, but yes I have problems with few pages.

Also I have Lighting which is supposed to be a open source and very light webkit browser. But for any reason I prefer Palemoon.

For webbrowsing for me is very important to use an opensource browser.
So, in the past I tried FF but I noticed impact on memory, etc.

For these few pages not working in PM or just rendered in a wrong way I am looking for an alternative

have you tried Brave, GNU IceCat, or anyother?

I didn't include Chromium because it requires Android above Jelly bean (4.3)

sp808 wrote:Does anybody use Palemoon for Android nowdays?
It seems that surfing with it becomes more painful and unsupported. I am thinking about migration to generic Firefox...

yellowfinch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by yellowfinch » 2017-08-16, 13:07

I have also been using PM as my main Android browser for nearly a year, on a phone and a tablet. No major problems to report. I was even pleasantly surprised to discover that I can see the weather radar on accuweather.com, which I don't get in Firefox (because of one of my many blocking add-ons there, no doubt).

Recently I tried Brave but quickly found issues of concern with privacy. For example, according to Panopticlick, the user agent string returned by Brave (if I turn on Javascript) includes the device's model number, which PM does not include. Also, much history is stored locally in chrome://cache and chrome://site-engagement even when using Brave's "Incognito" mode (the equivalent of PM's "Private Browsing" mode).

So... PM for Android remains my preference for now. :thumbup:

mselizabeth005

Unread post by mselizabeth005 » 2018-10-04, 11:08

Pale Moon provides a similar experience on mobile devices and tablets through Pale Moon for Android and it also has a better performance than my previous app.

JosephY

Unread post by JosephY » 2019-02-04, 07:45

Hello,

I'm planning to install PaleMoon on Android. Where can I find the latest version? Could anyone share a valid link? I've found the old thread on the forum - But there're controversial thoughts as for the suggested sources.

Thanks

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-04, 10:36

It has been discontinued and it's not recommended to install it.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20802

JosephY

Unread post by JosephY » 2019-02-05, 09:00

Thanks. What is an alternative then?

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2019-02-05, 13:15

JosephY wrote:Thanks. What is an alternative then?
Yeah, I'd really like to know what Moonchild/Tobin/et al use on THEIR mobile devices and why.

Because if THEY don't use or have an overwhelming need for a mobile Pale Moon, surely they must be using something that fits that niche from a usability/security standpoint, no?

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2019-02-05, 13:25

JosephY wrote:Thanks. What is an alternative then?
Beg Moonchild to release new uxp edition as one time action without any further support? ;)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2019-02-05, 14:23

I've moved mainly to the Chromium-based Samsung Internet Browser (Samsung phone not required and very good for saving pages as PDFs), with FireFox as backup.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-05, 15:05

JSB2000 wrote:Yeah, I'd really like to know what Moonchild/Tobin/et al use on THEIR mobile devices and why.
I'm not in a habit of using mobile devices (tablet) to browser the web. I use them almost exclusively for dedicated apps.
If I do have to browse, I use Chrome because I simply don't have the time or desire to fight compatibility issues when I barely use it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-05, 15:22

I really only use my cellular telephone's browser to view this forum and github when I am laying down.

Even when I used it more it didn't automatically mean I aquired the skills to code targeting android.. So in this case it isn't a matter of need it is a matter of already having too much stuff in my head as it is.

ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2019-04-25, 07:11

Moonchild any chance to reboot project Pale Moon for Android? We need Your magic touch :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-25, 07:58

None, less than none.