Palemoon for Android

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon for Android

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-25, 14:31

Pale Moon for Android is dead.
Issue #1053 (UXP)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-04-25, 21:49

JosephY wrote:
2019-02-05, 09:00
Thanks. What is an alternative then?
I use Firefox for Android. I'm pretty happy with that. No software is ever perfect, but it basically does what I want roughly the way I want it to on a phone. It has an add-on library and you can install things like UBlock Origin, personas, etc.. The add-on library isn't as extensive as what they have for PCs, but it's got what I consider the important stuff.

Edge for Android is also available. I used it briefly for a website that was incompatible with Firefox for Android and then uninstalled it when either Mozilla or the website admin corrected the issue. It seemed alright- a limited version of Ad-Block Plus was built in and could be enabled in settings, and there was a dark mode available, but there was no actually add-on library, if I recall correctly.

Ad-Block Plus actually has an official Android browser, a fork of Firefox, but I was a bit annoyed that they seem to have intentionally left features out of their Firefox for Android add-on to make them exclusive to their browser. That actually made me not only uninstall the ABP browser for Android, but also switch my Firefox add-on to UBlock Origin. ABP certainly has the right to do what they want to do, but I have the right to do what I want to do, which in this case to avoid ABP because of the way they were attempting to leverage their ad-blocking marketshare to force people to their own browser (To be clear, I have no issues with them having their own browser, I just don't like that they took features away (or never included them in the first place) on their Firefox for Android add-on to help their browser).

I know Waterfox is also available for Android, but haven't tried it. The bad reviews on Google Play put me off. Maybe I'll try it at some point when I perceive the product to have improved.

Vivaldi was working on an Android version last I heard, but I don't think it's out yet.

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2019-04-30, 14:09

I use Brave. My only complaint is they don't have a "dark" (low-light) mode.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

Jakenn

Unread post by Jakenn » 2019-07-04, 16:11

DuckDuckGo have released an android browser. I have used it for a few months now and it seems to have pretty good compatibility with most internet sites. Its probably built on a customized Chromium base. Not for sure on that but it does work pretty well. It's also built in accordance with DuckDuckGo's philosophy. No tracking. You can get it in the Google android store or on DuckDuckGo's site.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-07-05, 16:34

Interesting, thanks.

DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-07-05, 17:14

Jakenn wrote:
2019-07-04, 16:11
DuckDuckGo have released an android browser. I have used it for a few months now and it seems to have pretty good compatibility with most internet sites. Its probably built on a customized Chromium base. Not for sure on that but it does work pretty well. It's also built in accordance with DuckDuckGo's philosophy. No tracking. You can get it in the Google android store or on DuckDuckGo's site.
Does it have an add-on infrastructure? Is there a Ublock Origin port? Dark theme (Either built-in or available as an extension)?

Alec77
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Alec77 » 2019-07-08, 15:20

Try Kiwi Browser, chromium-based, open-source, built-in ad-blocker, but.... supports extensions and they work perfectly. Have uBlock Origin and uMatrix running, plus lots others. Fast. Fennec/Firefox is molasses compared. Until Googl;e screws chromium up with manifest v3 for adblockers, it's great. And then, I will keep old versions forever.

tonyburgos

Unread post by tonyburgos » 2019-07-28, 16:05

Pale Moon for Android is also independent of its desktop counterpart, and essentially a different application.
Although synchronizing data between the two is possible, Pale Moon for Android will not be able to use desktop extensions, and the other way around -- those have to be created specifically for this browser.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-07-31, 01:40

tonyburgos wrote:
2019-07-28, 16:05
Pale Moon for Android is also independent of its desktop counterpart, and essentially a different application.
Although synchronizing data between the two is possible, Pale Moon for Android will not be able to use desktop extensions, and the other way around -- those have to be created specifically for this browser.
Off-topic:
It says here that you're banned :wtf:
How come?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-31, 09:56

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2019-07-31, 01:40
It says here that you're banned :wtf:
How come?
Basically rule 7b
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Keyline

Unread post by Keyline » 2019-08-08, 09:11

Moonchild wrote:
2019-04-25, 14:31
Pale Moon for Android is dead.
Issue #1053 (UXP)
I have used the PaleMoon browser on Windows, Linux and macOS for many years and it is my preferred browser but I'm not interested in its mobile version. Today, I suddenly thought about and search for it on apknite but couldn't found out. Now I'm here to sat that it's so sad to hear that Android version is no longer updated and has fallen behind. :cry: