Palemoon for Android

Anything related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.

Moderator: satrow

sp808
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Palemoon for Android

Unread postby sp808 » Thu, 09 Feb 2017, 09:12

Does anybody use Palemoon for Android nowdays?
It seems that surfing with it becomes more painful and unsupported. I am thinking about migration to generic Firefox...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon for Android

Unread postby Moonchild » Thu, 09 Feb 2017, 09:25

I still use it on my tablet.
It's not being maintained and yes, it will eventually fall behind in web compatibility. When there's time, making a new build based on Goanna/v27 is still slated, but otherwise will still be unsupported/unmaintained unless someone steps up for it.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

sp808
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby sp808 » Thu, 09 Feb 2017, 10:09

Using Palemoon on cellphone, as my primary browser. But not long ago I noticed that I begin to use plain Firefox more frequently due to compability reasons..

Falna
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby Falna » Thu, 09 Feb 2017, 11:28

Yes, still using it and finding very few incompatibility problems. But encouraging to know that an updated version may still happen at some point.

Greywool
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby Greywool » Thu, 09 Feb 2017, 12:26

Seconding Falna there. Using it, and in general I don't run into incompatibilities. Then again, I only use it to browse a forum or two and checking the weather. :P

dark_moon

Unread postby dark_moon » Thu, 09 Feb 2017, 21:03

Use it now since a long time and works so far, with little font icons problems.
But thats not a problem for me.

grumpid
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread postby grumpid » Sun, 26 Feb 2017, 22:44

The excuse I have for using palemoon occasionally on an android device (non-rooted Lenovo 2014) is that it's slightly more resistant against wicked ad sites with an rather old version of ghostery (5.4*) - than FF or any other browser. And yes im a peculiar person > 60 :<;

dapgo
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread postby dapgo » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 12:30

I am still using PM because i feel less impact in performance than using others, but yes I have problems with few pages.

Also I have Lighting which is supposed to be a open source and very light webkit browser. But for any reason I prefer Palemoon.

For webbrowsing for me is very important to use an opensource browser.
So, in the past I tried FF but I noticed impact on memory, etc.

For these few pages not working in PM or just rendered in a wrong way I am looking for an alternative

have you tried Brave, GNU IceCat, or anyother?

I didn't include Chromium because it requires Android above Jelly bean (4.3)

sp808 wrote:Does anybody use Palemoon for Android nowdays?
It seems that surfing with it becomes more painful and unsupported. I am thinking about migration to generic Firefox...

yellowfinch
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread postby yellowfinch » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 13:07

I have also been using PM as my main Android browser for nearly a year, on a phone and a tablet. No major problems to report. I was even pleasantly surprised to discover that I can see the weather radar on accuweather.com, which I don't get in Firefox (because of one of my many blocking add-ons there, no doubt).

Recently I tried Brave but quickly found issues of concern with privacy. For example, according to Panopticlick, the user agent string returned by Brave (if I turn on Javascript) includes the device's model number, which PM does not include. Also, much history is stored locally in chrome://cache and chrome://site-engagement even when using Brave's "Incognito" mode (the equivalent of PM's "Private Browsing" mode).

So... PM for Android remains my preference for now. :thumbup:

mselizabeth005
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread postby mselizabeth005 » Thu, 04 Oct 2018, 11:08

Pale Moon provides a similar experience on mobile devices and tablets through Pale Moon for Android and it also has a better performance than my previous app.

Return to “Pale Moon for Android”