YouTube on PM4A

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
PhoxFyre

YouTube on PM4A

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-11, 23:40

whenever I go to YouTube and try playing a video, it plays the video in the YouTube app, any ready to fix or is this normal?
Last edited by PhoxFyre on 2017-01-12, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: YouTube on PM4A

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-12, 01:14

I gather this is normal since PM4A won't have support for what youtube wants to use for "video" these days.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PhoxFyre

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-12, 01:18

Thank you for replying, and for you and the community's amazing work, should development start back on it once Mac OS X version is released?

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-01-12, 07:44

PhoxFyre wrote:Thank you for replying, and for you and the community's amazing work, should development start back on it once Mac OS X version is released?
Last I heard, they were hoping for a new volunteer to do the heavy lifting for new Pale Moon for Android development. Basically, they don't have the manpower hours to both do the desktop versions of Pale Moon and the Android version of Pale Moon to the standards they desire simultaneously, so they had to make a choice, and chose to focus on the desktop, where they have more users, more developers who are good at writing code for those platforms, more personal interest, many years of hard work already put in, and so forth. Makes sense to me.

They don't want to totally shut the door on Pale Moon for Android, because they like the idea of it, but ther existing team is too busy with the desktop versions to develop the Android version, so the Android version is staying on version 25 and just getting security patches for now.

So, if you want Pale Moon for Android to he actively developed, it sounds like the thing to do would be to be to find one or two volunteers who are good at coding for Android and willing to volunteer to work on PM for Android extensively. That's what's needed, a point man or woman who is willing to essentially do a lot of work freqently and report to Moonchild on it.

It doesn't sound like they are going to get the volunteer, so it may be that they'll have to abandon the Android platform soon, I would think. The browser is not going to work with much if it's permantly stuck on version 25 or whatever and doesn't do active development to be more compatible with changes to the web, new phones, and so on and so forth.

There's also the issue (Just to me) of what Pale Moon for Android can really offer users. It doesn't have extensions, so what's the hook? Chrome is the browser made by the same creators for Android and probably the most optimized for it. Firefox (Which is what I use on Android) is the alternative browser with the extensions, including ad-blockers. Where Pale Moon for Android would fit into that market in terms of offering a distinct competitive project is unknown. But I guess a new developer could work on figuring out what would make the browser distinct and better for some users with MC and others if and when a nee developer volunteers and commits to the project (For me to switch, it'd really need an ad-blocker on Android, either as part of an extension infrastructure or built in).

I'm basically okay with the Pale Moon for Windows and Firefox for Android combo.

I hooe they find someone who wants to volunteer and do the Android version, though. More competition and user choice is good for everyone, and it might evolve into something I'd want to use.

I think time is probably running out for someone to take it over, though. At some point, with the web changing and hardware changing, it'll become unuseable and start damaging the Pale Moon brand, and they'll almost certainly have to pull it to protect the reputation of the desktop Pale Moon brand. I'm surprised its still technically around right now. Its still on Gecko instead of Goanna.

Great opportunity for someone who likes to program for Android to step in and be able to work on and influence a project with some pre-existing name recognition. You don't have to find your own user base or invent your own branding, you just code and discuss direction and changes with MC and others. Surprised no one has jumped in and taken the job.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-12, 22:59

CharmCityCrab wrote: It doesn't have extensions, so what's the hook?
Pale Moon for Android has extensions. I recently got a phone, installed PM4A, and I was able to install uBlock Origin on it.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-01-13, 00:25

half-moon wrote:
CharmCityCrab wrote: It doesn't have extensions, so what's the hook?
Pale Moon for Android has extensions. I recently got a phone, installed PM4A, and I was able to install uBlock Origin on it.
Cool. I stand corrected.

PhoxFyre

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-14, 03:40

uMatrix can work with it too, just no UI to use

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-01-14, 13:45

PhoxFyre wrote:uMatrix can work with it too, just no UI to use
Are you sure. Ublock Origin had a working UI, so uMatrix should have one too.

PhoxFyre

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-15, 01:03

I mean, that shows up in the menu