Disable smoothing/anti-aliasing (Mint Mate 17.2, PM 25.7.2)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Edualc

Disable smoothing/anti-aliasing (Mint Mate 17.2, PM 25.7.2)

Unread post by Edualc » 2015-10-18, 07:38

Hello everybody,

I am running Linux Mint Mate 17.2 with Pale Moon 25.7.2. The system has been set to monochrome font rendering with no smoothing but full hinting turned on. Unfortunately, PM does not respect my system settings and the configuration options in PM do not seem to have any effect. Since font smoothing strains my eyes, I would like to turn it off in PM (which was no problem in a windows environment).

I have searched the web but none of the advice given seems to have worked (PM Commander, .fonts.config file, about:config changes, etc). I would very much appreciate it if somebody in this forum could point me in the right direction!

Kind regards,
Edualc

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Disable smoothing/anti-aliasing (Mint Mate 17.2, PM 25.7

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2015-10-19, 02:36

I don't like font smoothing either. I'm not having any issues with Pale Moon not respecting my system settings, so I can't help you with that. However, if it is webpages that are not rendering like you want, you can try using a Stylish userstyle to override them all. This userstyle should get you started. Just replace sans-serif with a system font that you like. Hope this helps.

Edualc

Unread post by Edualc » 2015-10-21, 06:09

0strodamus wrote:I don't like font smoothing either. I'm not having any issues with Pale Moon not respecting my system settings, so I can't help you with that.
Hmm, interesting. On my machine, the browser itself is not respecting my settings (e.g. the menu and tool bars are also anti-aliased). Which Linux flavor are you using? And would you mind posting a screenshot of your browser? Perhaps there are some OS settings used by PM that Mint Mate does not set when changing the appearance configuration.

Thanks,
Edualc

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2015-10-22, 00:27

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I'm using Arch Linux. Here's a screenshot of my menu in Pale Moon.
menu.png
menu.png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
I searched about:config for "font" and the only settings I changed from defaults affect font rendering on web pages. I'm at a loss why Pale Moon would be the only application on your system not applying your system-wide font settings.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-10-22, 08:33

Try turning hardware acceleration for Palemoon off, see if that makes a difference. Also, just for clarity's sake: You have unchecked all four checkboxes in Advanced Options > Graphics > Fonts, right?

Edualc

Unread post by Edualc » 2015-10-31, 09:40

Turning off hardware acceleration did not help either. I did manage to find a solution by following the hints found on this page: http://www.matrix44.net/blog/?p=1165. The key to the solution was to delete the /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-antialias.conf file (and the slight hinting one as well while I was at it).

Thanks to everybody that chimed in on this problem.

Edualc