asks for password

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
roadrash

asks for password

Unread post by roadrash » 2015-10-16, 16:35

When I run your script in terminal it asks for root password. is this right?

using Ubuntu 15.04

cheers
Jon

martywd

Re: asks for password

Unread post by martywd » 2015-10-16, 18:56

roadrash wrote:When I run your script in terminal it asks for root password. is this right?
Yes, this is 'right'. Sort of. Actually it is asking for your REGULAR USER password.

You run the 'pminstaller.sh' script as a regular user elevated to root privileges (by entering your password) which are required to install files onto the system in places suchas '/opt/', /usr/bin/ ...

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

roadrash

Unread post by roadrash » 2015-10-16, 21:56

Ok just wondered cos you mention not to run as root/sudo. Ok understand now

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2015-10-16, 22:35

roadrash wrote:Ok just wondered cos you mention not to run as root/sudo. Ok understand now
Right. Again, it's important to 'let' the installer script do the 'elevating' to su(do) on it's own. As noted in the second bullet point at the link I included earlier. Specifically the bullet point that explains the issue:
Do not invoke the installer as root (e.g. "sudo ./pminstaller.sh"). On some distros, the sudo command will strip the XAUTHORITY variable (without which any graphical program cannot run). The installer automatically elevates itself using su(do).