[SOLVED] No audio on Youtube videos (HTML5)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Wolfen

[SOLVED] No audio on Youtube videos (HTML5)

Unread post by Wolfen » 2015-09-25, 09:28

Hello,

I've discovered Pale Moon lately and so far I love it :)

However I'm running into an annoying trouble, there is no sound when I try to watch any Youtube video (with the HTML5 player - I don't have Flash installed).

I'm using an up-to-date Arch Linux 64 bits, Pale Moon 25.7.0, Openbox, PulseAudio (but there was already no sound when I had just ALSA).

I tried with Opera, Chromium and Firefox and the same videos work flawlessly.

Also I noticed something: with Opera and Chromium the VP9 codec is used, whereas with Firefox and Pale Moon the player uses VP8.

Then I installed all the optional gstreamer packages but that didn't improve the situation.

Any idea?
Last edited by Wolfen on 2015-09-26, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Re: No audio on Youtube videos (HTML5)

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-25, 11:37

Welcome to the forum!

I use windows but i test youtube with VP8 and all works too (have no flash installed).

Did you try a clean Pale Moon profile?

Wolfen

Unread post by Wolfen » 2015-09-25, 15:15

Thanks, and yes I tried with a clean profile.

And I have no extensions/addons/plugins installed.

On https://youtube.com/html5 I get "HTMLVideoElement" and "WebM VP8" in blue, everything else is red (I can get "H.264" in blue if I set media.gstreamer.enabled to "true" but there is still no sound anyway).

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-09-25, 16:53

Guessing there is some misconfiguration between ALSA, Pulse and Palemoon. We don't know your system so this is hard to diagnose. You're going to have to dig into the configuration for each of these components. Also I'd recommend leaving media.gstreamer.enabled on.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-09-25, 20:37

I'd have to agree with Tharn, as I can't reproduce on my Manjaro (Arch-based) system with GStreamer enabled. Make sure you installed the gsteamer0.10 packages, as GStreamer 1.x doesn't wok with Pale Moon yet.

Wolfen

Unread post by Wolfen » 2015-09-25, 21:00

Okay, thanks for the answers, I'll try to dig and hopefully I'll find what's wrong.

Wolfen

Unread post by Wolfen » 2015-09-26, 12:44

Solved! :D

The culprit was my .asoundrc file (I need it on my system otherwise the sound goes by default through the HDMI output).

I changed the syntax from this:

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card PCH
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card PCH
}
to this:

Code: Select all

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.ctl.card 1
Basically the same information but the first variant totally overrides the system-wide settings, which is a bad thing.

I hope it will be useful for other people who may face the same problem :)