Electric Company Won't Save Username or Password

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Jose_Alvarado

Electric Company Won't Save Username or Password

Unread post by Jose_Alvarado » 2015-09-12, 22:55

In process of setting up Pale Moon for Bill Pay on Linux Mint. It used to work on Win7, but now it does not. I have no other add-ons besides "uMatrix" and I've disabled it completely for this one particular site, which is:

Code: Select all

https://www.cpsenergy.com/en.html
I've gone into the security settings and made certain there are no saved usernames or passwords for this URL, and have right-clicked the page and allowed everything except "Install Extensions or Themes" and "Share Location".

Pale Moon does not offer to save, nor does it save, either the Username or Password. Mozilla Firefox doesn't do either of these, either, so it's not Pale Moon specific.

Maybe there's some oddball javacript/python/.net/etc... that needs to be installed?

Jose_Alvarado

Re: Electric Company Won't Save Username or Password

Unread post by Jose_Alvarado » 2015-09-14, 20:26

Bump? Any help on this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-15, 20:46

They likely aren't using actual login fields, in which case it depends on their form setup (it's under the control of the website owners in that case). Site owners regularly explicitly don't want you to store your login data (they severely distrust their user's capability of handling their login credentials in a safe manner). I personally think that's a bad attitude to have, but that's where we are.

There's likely not been any response before since.. it kind of needs you to be a customer of them to be able to verify and/or help ;P

I'd contact their support department, but you are likely to get a reply that it's by design "to keep your login details safe".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jose_Alvarado

Unread post by Jose_Alvarado » 2015-09-19, 03:42

Moonchild wrote:They likely aren't using actual login fields, in which case it depends on their form setup (it's under the control of the website owners in that case). Site owners regularly explicitly don't want you to store your login data (they severely distrust their user's capability of handling their login credentials in a safe manner). I personally think that's a bad attitude to have, but that's where we are.

There's likely not been any response before since.. it kind of needs you to be a customer of them to be able to verify and/or help ;P

I'd contact their support department, but you are likely to get a reply that it's by design "to keep your login details safe".
Well thanks for the response. I was kind of hoping that you (or someone) could navigate to the page and click "login" and tell what the pop-up window is written in, maybe it's java or python or .net or what. I know that you can "view source" of a web page and that certain buttons will call certain scripts/functions or whatever the correct term is. Maybe that would yield some kind of clue? Plus I don't see how the webpage controls whether or not the password gets saved. I would think it's the browser. Can you tell ANYTHING about that page's login pop-up window? Also, why does it work in Chrome? I can't say for certain that it used to work in Win7/Pale Moon because I was in the middle of transitioning from Chrome to PM when I decided to go all-the-way to Linux Mint. I put a lot of effort into staying on nothing but Linux Mint for about a week now in order to force myself to use it and not lean on Win7 as a crutch, so I haven't been back at Win7 for about a week. Guess I could go test that site, but it's sort of like quitting smoking with me. I'm afraid if I go into Win7 "just once", I'll be back to my pack-a-day habit tomorrow.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-19, 11:28

It's just regular html/javascript.

Code: Select all

<label class="sr-only" for="username"> … </label>
<input id="username" type="text" placeholder="Username" name="username"></input>
<label class="sr-only" for="password"> … </label>
<input id="password" type="password" autocomplete="off" placeholder="Password" name="password" pwfprops=","></input>
Please note that if pale Moon has multiple logins for a site, it will not automatically fill in the details - you have to let the form filler kick in by entering part of your login and selecting the correct one from the drop-down. Also, your privacy settings may prevent automatic form-filling.

If the problem is that it never offers to save these details in the first place, then that is likely because the login process is not using normal form submission (to which the password manager is linked).

Also, note that "autocomplete=off" is mentioned. Even though Pale Moon should ignore this on password fields in the most recent versions, on older version it will prevent passwords from being filled in. If you are not on the latest version of Pale Moon, try upgrading first.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite