How I solved my outlook.com issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Rob1n

How I solved my outlook.com issues

Unread post by Rob1n » 2015-09-08, 18:20

Hi,

I've been using Palemoon for sometime and up till recently I've not had any issues with it. It's fine on my windows laptop but I have a had issues recently on another computer that's running Linux mint.

I always make bing my homepage and then when i get there I click the link to Outlook.,com to check my emails. But after a recent Palemoon upgrade I found that that link just didn't work anymore on my linux pc. I searched the internet and found that other people had reported the same issue. I was able to login to my emails via login.live.com but then none of the links worked, I couldn't open any emails or switch folders. Very frustrating and I was about to give up on Palemoon but I decided to try a few things first to see if I could fix it. I disabled the extensions and that made no difference so I tried disabling the default plugins and that seemed to work (i think) but only temporarily (but I've left some of those disabled as I've found Palemoon is quicker without them).

What did work was the following:

I went to edit > preferences > privacy > then under History (Pale Moon will) I choose "Use custom settings for history" > then clicked on cookie exceptions and typed in (and allowed) login.live.com and www.bing.com.

That's solved those problems completely so I thought I'd share that with Pale moon users in case it's of any help to anyone.

ashdav

Re: How I solved my outlook.com issues

Unread post by ashdav » 2015-09-08, 22:42

Thanks for the info.
Welcome to Palemoon :thumbup:

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-08, 22:55

I always thought the Bing User was a myth!!

SfdudePM

Unread post by SfdudePM » 2015-09-09, 16:47

Thank you, Rob1n !!!
worked for me, too... :)

Rob1n

Unread post by Rob1n » 2015-09-10, 18:00

Excellent!

I have since found that it works fine so long as you don't log out of outlook, if you just close the tab / browser without logging out it works. But I get the same problem again if I logout of outlook before closing the browser.

You can get it to work again however if you just clear the cookies for live.com (go to https://login.live.com, right click the screen and go to page info, then the security tab and click on view cookies, and then click remove all cookies). Close the browser and then when you reopen it should be fine again.

It's not a problem if you don't need to logout of outlook, but a bit of a pain if you're using a shared PC and need to logout each time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-11, 09:46

As an alternative, you can make sure you have cleared cookies, and open a private browsing window for Outlook.com when you want to use it. closing that private window will automatically log you out, and clear any cookies related to it. It's exactly why we have that function, so you can use separate, private/personal parts of a browsing session you don't want shared with the main instance/session.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite