Facebook Page Up / Page Down on newsfeed

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ninaholic

Facebook Page Up / Page Down on newsfeed

Unread post by ninaholic » 2015-08-09, 19:06

Hi!

I notice that when I'm on my Facebook newsfeed (Home link), if I click anywhere on the top (like the world icon) or Like something, or right click a link, the Pg Up and Pg Down keys will not be able to scroll the newsfeed any more, until I click on a blank area again. It seems like the Pg Up and Pg Down changes it's "element of focus" each time. My arrow keys are still able to move up and down the page, but of course doing it that way is about 12 times as slow, and just clicking a blank area to regain focus each time seems to be the best workaround.

This behavior is also in Firefox 24ESR, but in later versions of Firefox, the Pg Up and Pg Down keep working even after I like or comment or click any other link element, so it seems like this 'feature' was added after Firefox 24? Is there any way to get Pale Moon to act like newer versions of Firefox in this regard, or even an addon? I tried changing the useragent to Firefox 39 but that wasn't enough, and didn't find a "focus" setting that helped yet.

I'm using the Linux v25.6 (x86) but I think it happens in Windows too. Loving this browser on Slacko otherwise. :clap:

squarefractal

Re: Facebook Page Up / Page Down on newsfeed

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-08-10, 11:02

Note that there exists another pref for FB's useragent, controlled by the pref general.useragent.override.facebook.com, you may need to change that instead of general.useragent.override.
Off-topic:
You're using Slacko Puppy? Do they offer it as default browser nowadays?

ninaholic

Re: Facebook Page Up / Page Down on newsfeed

Unread post by ninaholic » 2015-08-10, 14:55

Hi squarefractal ! Thanks for replying :)

I attempted a general.useragent.override using the same string as others in about:config:
"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 (Pale Moon)"

But the problem was still there in Pale Moon (I used general.useragent.override.facebook.com first).

I think it's actually something compiled differently in later Firefox EXEs so that it can properly work with Facebook, possibly Facebook changed something with it's newsfeed and Firefox had to adjust something to keep up?

I did some more digging and this is what I found:

- Firefox 26 does have the problem
- Firefox 27 does have the problem
- Firefox 27.0.1 does have the problem
- Firefox 28 does not have the problem
- Firefox 29 does not have the problem

Nice to know it was first fixed in Firefox 28 (before Australis) instead of 29. :D

Looking at the changelog for Firefox 28:
New - VP9 video decoding implemented
New - Mac OS X: Notification Center support for web notifications
New - Horizontal HTML5 audio/video volume control
New - Support for Opus in WebM
Changed - Now that spdy/3 is implemented support for spdy/2 has been removed and servers without spdy/3 will negotiate to http/1 without any penalty
Developer - Support for MathML 2.0 'mathvariant' attribute
Developer - Background thread hang reporting
Developer - Support for multi-line flexbox in layout
Fixed - Various security fixes
I tried disabling spdy3.1, spdy3, and spdy (as a guess), but the Pg Up and Pg Down still always worked on 28.

So I clicked on the link complete list of changes for FF28... and it says 4091 bugs found. Wow!

The first one that popped out to me in the list was:
Bug 934420 - APZC scrolling stops working if page layout changes during a scroll

But I don't know if that's it, because it doesn't mention anything about Pg Up and Pg Down specifically.

I'll keep looking through the list to see if I can find any more clues, but 4091 was way more changes between 27.0.1 and 28 than I expected! How does Moonchild do it? :lol:
Off-topic:
It comes with Firefox 17ESR or 24ESR (depending on if you use 5.7 or 5.9.x), I extracted the Palemoon tar.gz to opt folder. I did use Tahrpup 6.0.2 too (which comes with Palemoon) but the wireless was a little wonky and I got tired of it's "flat" Windows 8-ish theme after switching from a IBM Thinkpad T42 back to my Dell Latitude D410.