[Solved] Videos are not working

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

[Solved] Videos are not working

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-03, 15:56

I am having a problem with playing online videos--any online videos--on Pale Moon. When I go to a site with a video, in the area where the screen should be it says, "Activate Adobe Flash. This plugin is vulnerable and should be updated." Problem is, when I click on the screen it takes me to an Apple site...I don't have Apple, I have Linux! What is going on here? Also, if I use a different browser, videos play just fine. Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Last edited by trava90 on 2015-08-20, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked solved.

SvenG

Re: Videos are not working

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-03, 16:26

Which version of flash do you have installed? Most recent should be 11.2.202.491.
Also most sites should fall back to html5 when media.gstreamer.enabled in about:config is set to true.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-06, 02:11

You'll have to help me out a bit here...Where do I find the version of flash I have installed? Not really sure. I've never had a problem with videos on Pale Moon, ever. This just flared up all of a sudden. I'm wondering if one of the updates on Xubuntu (which I install regularly) conflicted with flash or some other program? Please tell me, if you can, some specific things I should try in order to correct this problem. Thanks!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-06, 03:10

I run 64 bit linux Mint 17. The Mint update manager downloaded and installed Flash 11.2.202.491 and I have no problem viewing online videos (such as those on YouTube) using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (25.6.0).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-06, 03:26

Maybe Xubuntu hasn't gotten to that update yet. Is there a way you can use mplayer as a default video player rather than flash? That's what I use for playing my own videos and it's my media player of choice.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-06, 03:37

I do not know about "mplayer" since I do not use it in linux Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-08-06, 07:07

14themoon wrote:Where do I find the version of flash I have installed? Not really sure.
You can find full details about installed plugins through the about:plugins page.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-06, 12:49

Hmmm...where do I find the "about plugins" page? Is this something within Pale Moon itself or is it a Linux command?

ikar-us

Unread post by ikar-us » 2015-08-06, 12:56

Type

Code: Select all

about:plugins
in the address bar.
(The forum refuses [url=about:plugins]about:plugins[/url] as link.)

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-06, 13:20

Thanks for that. Okay...this is what I show--no Adobe flash but Shockwave flash:

Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11,2,202,491
State: Enabled (STATE_VULNERABLE_UPDATE_AVAILABLE)
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-06, 22:59

It would seem to me that my flash player is up to date. I don't understand it at all. When I click on "check for updates" it even shows there that my flash player is up to date! I've found that if I click on the little camera by the control bar I can temporarily suspend the block, but that isn't solving the problem.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-07, 08:09

Good, please provide some more detail:
Which version of Xubuntu (version number, 32/64 bit)?
Which version of Pale Moon (version number, 32/64 bit, how installed)?
Adobe Flash, how did you get/install it?
Where does it happen (provide an accessible link, if it is for all flash, still provide a link)?

ikar-us

Unread post by ikar-us » 2015-08-07, 10:07

14themoon wrote:It would seem to me that my flash player is up to date. I don't understand it at all. When I click on "check for updates" it even shows there that my flash player is up to date!
You can also check on http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ which version you are using, and which is current.
(The explanation text for Linux has changed the last days.)

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-07, 16:03

I have Xubuntu 14.04 and it is 64 bits. Where do I find my version of Pale Moon? Don't know. I downloaded it and installed from the webpage. I think Adobe Flash was bundled with the original Xubuntu package. I don't recall installing it independently. Thanks.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-07, 17:11

Some techies say that flash is unsafe to use under any circumstances. Is there a way to use other media players as default?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-07, 17:23

14themoon wrote:Some techies say that flash is unsafe to use under any circumstances.
In my opinion, the above comment is basically paranoia.

I've been using Flash in both Windows and linux for many years and I've never had any problems with it security wise in either of these two operating systems.

BTW, I'm not a techie or a power user either. If I can use Flash and not have any problems security wise, I'm guessing the techies can use it too unless of course, the techies aren't really techies after all.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-07, 17:39

14themoon wrote:Some techies say that flash is unsafe to use under any circumstances. Is there a way to use other media players as default?
The problem with Flash is, that it is a great target, Flash is everywhere, lots of websites use it, virtually all systems support it, etc. I have Flash set to always ask. Videos usually are played through HTML5 then, so there is not much use for Flash.
14themoon wrote:I have Xubuntu 14.04 and it is 64 bits. [...] I think Adobe Flash was bundled with the original Xubuntu package. I don't recall installing it independently.
14.04 x64, so we have basically the same system, if you open your package management, you should have either "adobe-flashplugin" or "flashplugin-installer" installed both should work.
Where do I find my version of Pale Moon? Don't know. I downloaded it and installed from the webpage.
Menu Bar: Help -> About Pale Moon
Did you use the installer or did you install manually?

Does Flash work in Firefox?

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-07, 19:23

My alternate browser is SeaMonkey and, yes, my videos work fine there.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-08, 08:31

It's really hard, cause you just answer questions partially. So again:
SvenG wrote:
Where do I find my version of Pale Moon? Don't know. I downloaded it and installed from the webpage.
Menu Bar: Help -> About Pale Moon
Did you use the installer or did you install manually?
It would really be helpful to know that!
14themoon wrote:My alternate browser is SeaMonkey and, yes, my videos work fine there.
So we can assume, that Flash is there and working correctly (assuming that you checked that whether or not Seamonkey is playing videos through Flash).

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 12:11

Sorry...trying to do my best. Okay my version of Pale Moon is 25.3.2 (x64). Where do I find the installer? You say the fact SeaMonkey is working means that flash (or some other player) is working. How do I determine which? Would it be under "Preferences"? Please understand that I have been using Pale Moon for about six months now and I just had this video problem start about a week ago. So something must have changed...