Pale Moon Crashes with ABORT: X_ShmPutImage

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SvenG

Re: Pale Moon Crashes with ABORT: X_ShmPutImage

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-01, 14:58

Can you check dom.ipc.plugins.enabled in about:config, a few bug I found were related to that value being change from it's default. And those bugs were also related to flash.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-01, 15:00

Seems like the VLC plugin is taking the load - either that or YouTube is restreaming in HTML5 - not sure. I do know that when I changed VLC to "Always Activate", the YouTube link came right up after flashing the "Flash Plugin Disabled" message but when the VLC plugin was set to "Ask to Activate", the "Flash Plugin Disabled" message took 10 - 30 seconds to go away and the video to begin.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-01, 15:03

SvenG wrote:Can you check dom.ipc.plugins.enabled in about:config, a few bug I found were related to that value being change from it's default. And those bugs were also related to flash.

Code: Select all

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npietab2.dll;false
dom.ipc.plugins.parentTimeoutSecs;0
dom.ipc.plugins.processLaunchTimeoutSecs;15
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;15
dom.ipc.plugins.unloadTimeoutSecs;60

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-01, 15:09

Good, change dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false to true, that should be the default value. If it is the same problem, I found on a few sites, that should fix the problem with Flash.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-01, 15:21

SvenG wrote:Good, change dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false to true, that should be the default value. If it is the same problem, I found on a few sites, that should fix the problem with Flash.
OK - that seems to resolve the fatal crash issues. Excellent! :thumbup:

However, the odd fluttering when the video is full screen is still there.:problem: Maybe I'll try a few things.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-01, 15:29

Shadeclan wrote:However, the odd fluttering when the video is full screen is still there.:problem: Maybe I'll try a few things.
OK, when I disable the Flash plugin, the fullscreen fluttering goes away. Since all plugins are deactivated, YouTube must be streaming this particular video in HTML5 when Flash is not available.

Well, seems like this nasty little bug is from the Flash player. This is to be expected, since Adobe no longer supports Linux.

Not sure how to get the VLC plugin to do the work of Flash. Most Flash content webpages look for Flash specifically and throw an error or tell you to get or upgrade Flash rather than seek a different plugin that can handle Flash streaming.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-08-01, 15:39

you may try this project. this is ppapi emulator for npapi browsers (firefox, should work with PM too). google chrome comes with greatly updated flash plugin, but that plugin supports only ppapi. with this project you may be able to use chrome plugin in PM.

i didn't tried it, though, as i'm not using plugins at all, so i can't tell if it works.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-01, 17:14

Shadeclan wrote:
SvenG wrote:Good, change dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false to true, that should be the default value. If it is the same problem, I found on a few sites, that should fix the problem with Flash.
OK - that seems to resolve the fatal crash issues. Excellent! :thumbup:
Cool, so the issue was the same. That would also explain why other people reported a broken profile as the cause.
ketmar wrote:you may try this project. this is ppapi emulator for npapi browsers (firefox, should work with PM too). google chrome comes with greatly updated flash plugin, but that plugin supports only ppapi. with this project you may be able to use chrome plugin in PM.

i didn't tried it, though, as i'm not using plugins at all, so i can't tell if it works.
It works. For Ubuntu and derivatives Andrew has a tutorial for it on WebUpd8
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install- ... buntu.html
He also has runs the PPA, that is sorta endorse the Rinat. I don't know if it solves the issue. I use HTML5 on YT, that works fine for me.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-01, 17:44

SvenG wrote:
ketmar wrote:you may try this project. this is ppapi emulator for npapi browsers (firefox, should work with PM too). google chrome comes with greatly updated flash plugin, but that plugin supports only ppapi. with this project you may be able to use chrome plugin in PM ...
It works. For Ubuntu and derivatives Andrew has a tutorial for it on WebUpd8: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install- ... buntu.html

He also has runs the PPA, that is sorta endorse the Rinat. I don't know if it solves the issue. I use HTML5 on YT, that works fine for me.
There are still sites that have not abandoned Flash that I regularly use. I need some sort of Flash capability with them.

Thanks - I'll look at that, see if I can make it work.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-01, 19:44

It calls for either Google Chrome to be installed or for the Pepper Flash player to be installed. I already had Chrome installed, so no biggie.

It was necessary for me to uninstall the old Flash plugin before FreshPlayerPlugin would function. After installation, it appears to work flawlessly. I have some sites to try it out on, though. We'll see how it handles them.

Thanks for the suggestions, SvenG and ketmar. I hope all the help you've given me clears up the issues I've been having. Thanks! :clap: :D :clap:

Personally, I think somebody should put some of this information into the FAQ. Flash is still very popular and, with some websites, still very necessary.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-08-01, 19:50

as you're experimenting with it now, i think that you can write a FAQ entry after you test it some more and send it to MC, so he can put it somewhere where people can find it. ;-)

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-01, 19:54

Shadeclan wrote:Personally, I think somebody should put some of this information into the FAQ.
for flash/fresh player: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7704 people should just read it

As for the actual issue you had, I guess it is not such a common one that we could call it frequently.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-03, 17:04

SvenG wrote:
Shadeclan wrote:Personally, I think somebody should put some of this information into the FAQ.
for flash/fresh player: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7704 people should just read it

As for the actual issue you had, I guess it is not such a common one that we could call it frequently.
OK, fair enough, although I notice that nobody directed me to that page until the solution was found.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-08-03, 17:08

nobody reads FAQs until the problem is solved. ;-)

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2015-08-04, 17:28

ketmar wrote:nobody reads FAQs until the problem is solved. ;-)
:clap: :lol: :lol: :clap: