Display icon fonts in Pale Moon 25.6

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian49

Display icon fonts in Pale Moon 25.6

Unread post by Brian49 » 2015-07-28, 17:50

The changelog page for Pale Moon 25.6 includes this:

"Added a feature to allow icon fonts to be used even when users disallow the use of document-specified fonts."

Where can I find that feature, please? I can't see it in the browser preferences GUI, or in about:config. I'm still getting a lot of hex-code boxes on icon-heavy web pages, so I assume that the feature isn't activated. Many thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Display icon fonts in Pale Moon 25.6

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-28, 20:18

This is not a user option -- it is always enabled.

Please see other threads on the forum about this change; there are a few requirements for this change to have any effect, mostly you still need to allow downloadable fonts, and the fonts used have to be properly defined as icon fonts (i.e.: not a generic font class).
This depends purely on which sites you visit and how they use icon fonts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Brian49

Unread post by Brian49 » 2015-07-28, 20:55

Thanks for responding. As I mentioned, the feature wasn't working for me, whether I enabled or disabled the preference for web pages to choose their own fonts. However, I've found a way of getting the right result with that preference disabled, namely by adding a Boolean setting in about:config, as follows:

gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled

and setting it to "true". This setting was not present before I added it, so perhaps that was the root of the problem.

You say that "the fonts used have to be properly defined as icon fonts". Do I take it that you mean defined by the web-page author, not by the browser?

Thanks again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-28, 21:14

Downloadable fonts are enabled by default in Pale Moon, you shouldn't have to set a preference for that and the preference should be present by default in about:config (and set to true) -- if it's not present then there may be a larger problem on your system that the default preferences aren't loaded for some reason, meaning a lot of settings that should be there, aren't. If downloadable fonts are disabled, then indeed icon fonts will never work, because they are always downloaded fonts.

As for the (in your case N/A) font family: yes, that is something the website owners would need to fix in the actual font file.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite