How do I install palemoon from tar.bz?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
holyguyver

How do I install palemoon from tar.bz?

Unread post by holyguyver » 2015-07-20, 01:31

Sourceforge has been down all week, causing the updater to not be able to download the update. I was able to get palemoon-25.5.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 now how do I install it? I know this is Linux 101, but it has been so many years since I have installed anything that way, I have forgotten.

ipsirc

Re: How do I install palemoon from tar.bz?

Unread post by ipsirc » 2015-07-20, 02:22

tar xjvf *.bz2; cd palemoon; ./palemoon .
This is not installing, just extracting then running.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-07-20, 03:09

I just came from the Sourceforge site where I get my linux Pale Moon versions and it is not down at the time I am typing this message.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

holyguyver

Unread post by holyguyver » 2015-07-20, 03:21

Night Wing, I know, that is how I got the tar.bz2 file, but for some reason the palemoon installer cannot reach sourceforge due to their recent outage.

ipsirc, I know how to do that, but as you mentioned that just extracts & runs it, I want it to replace my current 25.4 installation.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-07-20, 07:21

holyguyver wrote:ipsirc, I know how to do that, but as you mentioned that just extracts & runs it, I want it to replace my current 25.4 installation.
So you already have it installed? That would be easy, you just extract the tar, then navigate to /opt, delete the palemoon folder, and add the newly extracted version there. Links and icons still work. "Extract and run" is what the installer in fact does.

If you don't have it installed, you can basically follow
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... er.sh#L129
there was a guide on github but it seems to be still down.

holyguyver

Unread post by holyguyver » 2015-07-20, 07:31

SvenG, Yes, I installed it about 6 months ago, I am just trying to update while the updater is not working. Thank you.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-07-20, 07:37

Are you using the latest version of the installer (v0.2.0)? It should download updates form our new in-house server instead of SourceForge. Also note that the soon to be released Pale Moon 25.6 will not be hosted on SourceForge at all, so only the latest version of the installer will allow you to update at that point.

holyguyver

Unread post by holyguyver » 2015-07-20, 14:14

When I go to the website & click "download pale moon for Linux"" it takes me to sourceforge.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-20, 14:18

holyguyver wrote:When I go to the website & click "download pale moon for Linux"" it takes me to sourceforge.
That's because SourceForge is *supposed* to work :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

holyguyver

Unread post by holyguyver » 2015-07-20, 21:03

SvenG, thank you, that worked :D . And yes I was on an old installer, from about 6 months to a year old. I using your link downloaded the new installer & it worked :D Thank you.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-07-20, 21:04

You're welcome! :thumbup: