gtk2-engines-oxygen Bug

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon crashes all the time here too

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-18, 08:57

gtk2-engines-oxygen has some application name specific code. Inside oxygenapplicationname.cpp for example there is

Code: Select all

// tag all mozilla-like applications (XUL)
static const std::string XulAppNames[] =
{
    "firefox",
    "thunderbird",
    "seamonkey",
    "iceweasel",
    "icecat",
    "icedove",
    "xulrunner",
    "komodo",
    "aurora",
    "zotero",
    ""
};
Iceweasel is part of that short list. A request has been made to add palemoon newmoon to this list, but no movement on this issue so far.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341181

EDIT: Just poked the people again with a request on that bug, also asking for fossamail
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-07-18, 16:45

Off-topic:
Doesn't KDE track users?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-18, 18:53

Looks like the people moved as a result of the nudge:

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=oxygen-gtk.g ... 997d408805
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-07-18, 20:02

Moonchild wrote:Looks like the people moved as a result of the nudge:

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=oxygen-gtk.g ... 997d408805
Yeah! Now it takes just another 3 to 5 years until the change lands in the repos of the major distros.

But somehow I have the feeling that oxygen-gtk is not the problem here, running a lightweight distro such as AntiX with KDE on top would be a bit against the purpose of such a distro.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-18, 22:23

Keep in mind that GTK (gimp toolkit) is not the same as KDE. The fact that the oxygen-gtk theme is maintained by the KDE people doesn't mean that you'll only find it when using the KDE manager ;) In fact, GTK-theme/KDE compatibility is relatively new (I remember when it was either strictly gnome+gtk or KDE+Qt). many other window managers build on GTK, as far as I've understood, including lightweight ones like MATE and xfce -- whether they come with the oxygen-gtk theme and engine as default or not depends on distro.*

*Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of this, this is my understanding, but i'm not intimately familiar with what uses which steering wheel these days... ;)

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-07-18, 22:57

Oxygen is the KDE theme (icons, window decoration, cursors, font, toilet paper, whatsoever) and the Oxygen GTK Engine was build to make GTK apps look like KDE apps, so Oxygen GTK is most likely to be used in combination with KDE. Haven't heard of any other desktop using it.
Moonchild wrote:Keep in mind that GTK (gimp toolkit) is not the same as KDE.
Really???????????

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-19, 08:52

SvenG wrote: Oxygen GTK is most likely to be used in combination with KDE
But not necessarily used only in combination with KDE - which is my point.

Once again, it seemed to me the understanding was that oxygen-gtk == KDE, which isn't the case, and as such the engine won't be tied to whatever perceived slow cycle KDE is on. I hope the engine gets updated and pushed out soon to fix these issues with Pale Moon.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-07-19, 10:35

That depends on the package maintainers.

For e.g. the *buntus packages are maintained by Kubuntu and the KDE (sorry for mentioning the K-"word" again :D) guys at Debian. For Trusty the gtk(2|3)-engines-oxygen were never updated which also effects all distros based thereon, those will be around until 2019. Likeliness that it will be updated? Very low. So, even if the change lands in WIly (15.10), the bug will still exist for a while. Depending on how well the next LTS will be accepted, 16.04 could bring a change. Debian Wheezy had it's last change in 2012, still to early to say something Jessie, was just released.

It's not like: now that the bug is fixed, everything changes quickly. That's only true for some but by far not all distros.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-07-19, 11:38

Well, I, for one, am happy this issue has finally been addressed by the developers of the oxygen-gtk theme! :thumbup:

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-07-19, 15:58

And somewhere in the installer, I'd request something along the lines of:

oxygen_gtk_presence=0
oxygen_gtk_palemoon_absence=0
while read x; do
    oxygen_gtk_presence=1
    if ! grep palemoon "$x"; then
       oxygen_gtk_palemoon_absence=1
       break
    fi
done < <(find /usr/lib /usr/lib64 /lib -type f -name 'liboxygen-gtk.so')

if [[ $oxygen_gtk_presence -eq 1 ]] && [[ $oxygen_gtk_palemoon_absence -eq 1 ]]; then
    echo {warning message}
fi

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-07-19, 18:08

I like the idea, could be added in the beginning of the installation process, before the main interface opens, as a popup box in the form of

yad --info --text="{warning message}"
(Maybe this should be split into another topic, to keep this one focused on the OPs problem.)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-07-19, 18:41

SvenG wrote:I like the idea, could be added in the beginning of the installation process, before the main interface opens, as a popup box in the form of

yad --info --text="{warning message}"
I like this idea also.. I'll have a poke at it when I have time. I'm going to be pretty busy the next couple weeks with other things (mostly the new Linux site, among other things).
Off-topic:
SvenG wrote:(Maybe this should be split into another topic, to keep this one focused on the OPs problem.)
Done!