How do you upgrade to the latest version in Ubuntu 14.04?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
leroy_brown

How do you upgrade to the latest version in Ubuntu 14.04?

Unread post by leroy_brown » 2015-06-24, 06:39

New to the Pale Moon browser, and I can say it's great and I'm glad I tried it out.

I noticed the latest version is 25.5, and I am on 25.3. How do I update to the latest version? Is there an auto-update feature?

I tried the usual sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade but didn't see any updates for the browser.

I installed it via the following method:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marian.kadanka/palemoon

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install palemoon

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: How do you upgrade to the latest version in Ubuntu 14.04

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-24, 07:17

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are enjoying Pale Moon!

I have made several attempts to contact Marián (the maintainer of the PPA), but have received no response yet. For now, I would recommend removing the PPA and using the installer instead.

leroy_brown

Unread post by leroy_brown » 2015-06-24, 09:06

trava90 wrote:Welcome to the forum! Glad you are enjoying Pale Moon!

I have made several attempts to contact Marián (the maintainer of the PPA), but have received no response yet. For now, I would recommend removing the PPA and using the installer instead.
Thanks for your response. I hope it's updated soon.

How safe is it to download it from Sourceforge as they're known to package in adware with their installers? Does this impact Linux as it does on Windows?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-24, 09:21

leroy_brown wrote:Thanks for your response. I hope it's updated soon.
We have someone who recently volunteered to create and maintain a new PPA for us, so hopefully we will have a updated one for you to use soon.
leroy_brown wrote:How safe is it to download it from Sourceforge as they're known to package in adware with their installers? Does this impact Linux as it does on Windows?
We are in the process of moving off of SourceForge to our own in house server. If you prefer, you can download the installer from our server directly with these links:

pminstaller: http://linux.palemoon.org/files/pminstaller/0.2.0/pminstaller-0.2.0.tar.bz2
GPG signature: http://linux.palemoon.org/files/pminstaller/0.2.0/pminstaller-0.2.0.tar.bz2.sig

leroy_brown

Unread post by leroy_brown » 2015-06-24, 09:26

trava90 wrote:
leroy_brown wrote:Thanks for your response. I hope it's updated soon.
We have someone who recently volunteered to create and maintain a new PPA for us, so hopefully we will have a updated one for you to use soon.
leroy_brown wrote:How safe is it to download it from Sourceforge as they're known to package in adware with their installers? Does this impact Linux as it does on Windows?
We are in the process of moving off of SourceForge to our own in house server. If you prefer, you can download the installer from our server directly with these links:

pminstaller: http://linux.palemoon.org/files/pminstaller/0.2.0/pminstaller-0.2.0.tar.bz2
GPG signature: http://linux.palemoon.org/files/pminstaller/0.2.0/pminstaller-0.2.0.tar.bz2.sig
Fabulous. Thank you sir, you've been a tremendous help.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-24, 09:35

Glad to do it! :thumbup: