Unable to load a certain site in Pale Moon 25.5.0

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Axiomatic

Unable to load a certain site in Pale Moon 25.5.0

Unread post by Axiomatic » 2015-06-20, 05:31

So the website I am trying to view is https://www.netacad.com/ however when visiting the site in Pale Moon I am given just a blank page, mean while Firefox, Chromium, and other browsers render the page fine. The issue occurs on a fresh profile, as well as when passing a fake UserAgent string to the site. Can anyone else reproduce the issue?

squarefractal

Re: Unable to load a certain site in Pale Moon 25.5.0

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-06-20, 07:07

Reproduced on PM 25.5.0, Windows 8.1 x86_64.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-06-20, 09:16

There is a javascript error preventing the site from rendering.. I have no idea what it is or why it happens but there it is..

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 6/20/2015 5:15:26 AM
Error: SyntaxError: invalid range in character class
Source File: https://d1ej7ofr54nmsd.cloudfront.net/netacad-public-theme/js/assets.js
Line: 30, Column: 60
Source Code:
){if(!val)return[];var values=[];$.each(val.split(func?func:/[,|-\s]\s*/g),function(i,str){str=$.trim(str);if(str.length

Error: ReferenceError: angular is not defined
Source File: https://d1ej7ofr54nmsd.cloudfront.net/netacad-public-theme/js/netspace.js
Line: 25

Error: ReferenceError: $ is not defined
Source File: https://www.netacad.com/
Line: 1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-20, 12:18

I think it's an error in the RegEx in the first error.

This is invalid, IIUC, because it tries to define an invalid range.

Code: Select all

[,|-\s]
[value-value], and using reserved characters in the sequence.
Regex reference, e.g: http://www.cheatography.com/davechild/c ... pressions/

So they need to escape it if they want to make it a literal sequence of characters.

As to why it works in other browsers... looks like V8's regexp (Chrome + also imported to Firefox) is not as strict in this matter, and allows this invalid range "assuming" a literal sequence is meant when it errors.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-06-20, 16:14

There's this at BMO, could this be ported to Pale Moon as well? I hear that there are a number of performance improvements that come with this.

There's also the fact that no other browser throws an error on this makes it (very) slightly important.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-21, 13:06

I'm aware of the replacement of YARR with irregex in v32.
It doesn't take away the fact that the regex is wrong, though. If it's "common practice" to write bad regex this way though, then we'll just have to bow to the most common use even if incorrect.

Replacing the YARR regex engine with another one will only have performance advantages if you also make the necessary changes in JIT. Also, as far as I understood, irregex out of the box will not allow unaligned accesses which is something that needs to be fixed (should be a small patch) otherwise we'll take a massive perf hit.

You're free to give it a shot, with the patch in that BMO bug that retains YARR so there's a build-time choice, until such time where we can be confident that irregex performs acceptably and we can remove YARR.
EDIT: if so, please comment on https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... issues/108 and I'll reopen it as a tracking bug.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Channel 2012

I have seen

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2015-06-30, 19:46

I have been able to reproduce the problem as well. Is there any way to contact the publisher of the page about correcting the error or is this a more extreme case of planned obsolescence?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: I have seen

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-01, 08:27

Channel 2012 wrote:I have been able to reproduce the problem as well. Is there any way to contact the publisher of the page about correcting the error or is this a more extreme case of planned obsolescence?
You could contact netacadsupport@netacad.com

Axiomatic

Unread post by Axiomatic » 2015-07-06, 05:15

I sent them an e-mail awhile back with the necessary information on the cause of the problem, I have not gotten an e-mail back. I still do not see any major push to replacing YARR with irregex, all I see is bad web development. Though I am curious does anyone have the measuring of performance boost using irregex supposedly gives against YARR.