Sharing Pale Moon Data files [Solved]

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MGA74

Sharing Pale Moon Data files [Solved]

Unread post by MGA74 » 2015-05-31, 14:24

Your advice, please!

I have Pale Moon running under MATE 17.0. I have just installed Xfce 17.1 under a dual boot system with DATA partitions, but Pale Moon is not yet installed under Xfce.

Is it possible to install Pale Moon so that its data files (website addresses, etc) are shared by both MATE and Xfce? If so, I would be very grateful for instructions.
Last edited by MGA74 on 2015-06-06, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

squarefractal

Re: Sharing Pale Moon Data files

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-05-31, 15:14

You do not need to have different OS installs to use different desktop environments. It is possible to install different DEs on the same install and switch to your preferred DE at the time of login.

As far as your question is concerned, it isn't recommended, since the profile path is put into many places in your profile and this can lead to broken functionality.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-31, 15:40

MGA74 wrote:Is it possible to install Pale Moon so that its data files (website addresses, etc) are shared by both MATE and Xfce? If so, I would be very grateful for instructions.
You can specify a profile location by starting Pale Moon with:

Code: Select all

[/path/to/]palemoon -p /path/to/profile
If you make sure the path is similar in both OS installs (e.g. using the same mount) then there shouldn't be any issue whatsoever using it this way.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MGA74

Unread post by MGA74 » 2015-05-31, 16:35

Thank you for your replies.

Moonchild, could you be more specific, please? Where would I find my profile on my existing installation of Pale Moon? Should I copy it to a location in the (shared) DATA location? Where then do I put your command to start Pale Moon?

Thank you very much for your interest!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-02, 19:24

MGA74 wrote:Where would I find my profile on my existing installation of Pale Moon?
It is located in ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon (note the spaces).
MGA74 wrote:Should I copy it to a location in the (shared) DATA location?
Yes.
MGA74 wrote:Where then do I put your command to start Pale Moon?
If you used the installer, you can simply type (minus quotes) in your terminal "palemoon -p /path/to/profile".

You will need to do that on both of your operating systems and it should work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-06-02, 19:33

You could put the data in a central location then symlink to it from the default location as an alt.. You can also use the profile manager to directly tell it where to store the profile.

MGA74

Re: Sharing Pale Moon Data files [Solved]

Unread post by MGA74 » 2015-06-06, 18:34

A big thank you to trava90 and to Tobin for your help. Your expertise made the difference!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Sharing Pale Moon Data files [Solved]

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-06, 19:01

Glad to help! :)