Flash Player not working in PM, but working in Firefox

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ncosmann

Flash Player not working in PM, but working in Firefox

Unread post by ncosmann » 2015-05-16, 00:54

Hello all,

I'm sure this is a common issue and a simple one at that, but for some reason I cannot get Flash working in PM and am completely stumped as to why.

I'm using 64-bit Slackware, and apparently my version of PM was automatically installed by the script as the 64-bit version. I know on this page: https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-win64.shtml there's mention of certain plugins only working for the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and later, but that seemed to imply that it only applies to Windows.

Anyways, I have installed Flash using various methods - the Slackbuild, Alienbob's package, and just manually extracting the tarball and copying over libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins to be absolutely sure things were working right. Still cannot get Flash working in PM, but for some reason it is working perfectly fine in Firefox.

So what could be going wrong??

EDIT: I've also tried getting Fresh Player to install, to much frustration.

I've run

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-gles2
when installing Mesa, but despite this when I run

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
as instructed on the Fresh Player github, it still complains that I don't have glesv2 despite having enabled it to install with Mesa and completing the installation of Mesa. If someone knows anything about this, that would be equally helpful.

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Flash Player not working in PM, but working in Firefox

Unread post by andy80 » 2015-05-16, 14:20

I am not sure about Slackware, but for openSUSE I enabled the plugins by creating the softlink /opt/palemoon/browser/plugins -> /usr/lib64/browser-plugins

Probably you have to do something similar but with target /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-05-16, 16:13

Either the above, or you can also run this as root:

cat << EOM > /etc/profile
export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
EOM

ncosmann

Unread post by ncosmann » 2015-05-18, 10:37

andy80 wrote:I am not sure about Slackware, but for openSUSE I enabled the plugins by creating the softlink /opt/palemoon/browser/plugins -> /usr/lib64/browser-plugins

Probably you have to do something similar but with target /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
I suppose that could work, but here isn't a "plugins" directory in /opt/palemoon/browser/.
squarefractal wrote:Either the above, or you can also run this as root:

EOM
What would this do exactly?

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by andy80 » 2015-05-18, 13:40

ncosmann wrote:I suppose that could work, but here isn't a "plugins" directory in /opt/palemoon/browser/.
This is OK; when you create the soft link via the command (as root)

ln -s /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins /opt/palemoon/browser/plugins
you will have a "symbolic directory" called plugins in /opt/palemoon/browser/, as needed.
ncosmann wrote:
squarefractal wrote:Either the above, or you can also run this as root:

EOM
What would this do exactly?
This would put "export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins" inside /etc/profile.
However, this would remove the previous content of /etc/profile and I think it is better to append "export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins" to /etc/profile.local or to create the file /etc/profile.d/palemoon.sh containing "export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins" (without "")

Zootal

Unread post by Zootal » 2015-05-19, 15:27

I use 64 bit Slackware.

If you put your plugins in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins, they WILL NOT WORK.

If you put your plugins anywhere under ~/.mozilla, they *might* work.

The correct way to do this in Slackware 64 bit is to put them in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. 64 bit or not, your browser still looks in /usr/lib, not /usr/lib64. I went round and round with this before finally realizing that PM looks in the 32 bit lib directory, whether you are running 64 bit or not.

Put libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

If you need java working, you need to put a symlink in the same directory to <java install directory/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so. I put my java in /usr/local/java, so my symlink points to /usr/local/java/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so. You do this and Presto! Java magically starts to work!

Try that and let us know if it helps