Not "NORMAL" ports blocked by PM. "Request Canceled."

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wwill

Not "NORMAL" ports blocked by PM. "Request Canceled."

Unread post by wwill » 2015-05-11, 15:40

OS is OpenSuse Linux, Vn. 13.2, and both 32- and 64- bit versions show the same behaviour.
Standard Intel architecture, no surprises, plenty of RAM and hard disk and all the usual suspects.

Since the issue seems to be a 'feature' of PaleMoon itself, my system information seems a bit superfluous. If anyone thinks they need more such information, please ask and it shall likely be given forthwith. (Fifthwith, even.)

"This address is restricted

This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes other
than Web browsing.
Pale Moon has canceled the request for your protection."

"But think of the CHILDREN!!"

Seufz. Ganz grosse Seufz. BIg sigh.

ANYWAY, sometimes I access some pretty oddball ports when doing some of the network idiocy for whch I get (badly; sporadically) paid. Port 53 in this case, popped up that warning. (Yeah, I know, it's usually for DNS. Trust me, there are reasons into which I will not go.)

There is a quite-useless "Try again" button at the bottom of the warning message, which of course simply gives the same warning message. "Loop-the-loop," anyone?

I have already searched the support forae here, and come up empty. I can find nothing via a general web search regarding this issue, either.

I need the answer to this one simple question:

HOW DO YOU TURN THIS SPECIFIC NANNY FEATURE OFF????

If it currently cannot be disabled, then I request that somewhere in the options or settings it be made able to be killed.

I have tried about every browser out there, from various foxes to sea monkeys to iron to chrome <shudder!!>. PaleMoon does the best job in all of the other situations I throw at a browser. Please consider this, or let me know where the super-sekrit off switch for this 'feature' resides. Or change the "Try again" to something useful, such as a, "Just do what I told you, dagnabbit!!" button.

Thanks.

--
W Will
BS/IndEngr&Tech
MS/IT (InfoSec)
(And all that plus two bucks gets me a bad coffee at the drive-through....)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Not "NORMAL" ports blocked by PM. "Request Canceled."

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-11, 20:29

I'm sorry but "Think of the children" is a bit overexaggerated ;)

The ports on the default blacklist are all system ports that you should never run any http service on or have a browser connect to. For the list, see: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/blob/master/netwerk/base/src/nsIOService.cpp#L76

You can, however, override the blacklist with a (hidden) pref: set network.security.ports.banned.override to a comma-separated list of ports you want to override this security for.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wwill

Unread post by wwill » 2015-05-11, 21:41

Ah. "Hidden prefs." Got it, thanks.

Is there perchance a master list of the hidden stuff? Likely a lot of things in there might be useful one time or another....

BTW, just for giggles and grins, the odd port accesses are nearly always from inside a DMZ or firewall, local network IPs (non-routable addresses).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-11, 23:01

wwill wrote:Ah. "Hidden prefs." Got it, thanks.

Is there perchance a master list of the hidden stuff? Likely a lot of things in there might be useful one time or another....

BTW, just for giggles and grins, the odd port accesses are nearly always from inside a DMZ or firewall, local network IPs (non-routable addresses).
Hidden prefs are normally for debugging, developers, and can dangerous as hell even compared to the exposed ones.. So.. no.. Also no one has managed to compile one yet. ;)

Feel free to do a complete audit of the codebase for prefs!