Question on tar.bz2.sig installation file

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Question on tar.bz2.sig installation file

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-29, 23:59

I'm still learning Linux so if this is a dumb question, please excuse. :) I would just like to know, do the tar.bz2.sig files available on sourceforge automatically install PM, like a .deb file? I ask because I prefer to install/upgrade from an installation file on my own computer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question on tar.bz2.sig installation file

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-30, 00:30

If you want to upgrade, just run the installer. It has an upgrade option.

The .sig files are GPG/PGP cryptographic signatures allowing you to verify both the integrity and authenticity of the archives.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-30, 00:40

I goofed. I meant the .tar.bz2 files. Do those install like .exe files in Windows?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-30, 01:38

helloimustbegoing wrote:I goofed. I meant the .tar.bz2 files. Do those install like .exe files in Windows?
No, they are like ZIP archives. (they are bzipped "tarballs")
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-05-01, 01:43

I'm curious, is there some reason for not making available an installation .deb (or something similar) file?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-01, 02:25

AFAIK someone is maintaining a debian specific repo file for us.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-05-01, 07:20

helloimustbegoing wrote:I'm curious, is there some reason for not making available an installation .deb (or something similar) file?
Because I do not currently have the time or resources to make packages for "x" distro in addition to the standard releases. See this.
Matt A Tobin wrote:AFAIK someone is maintaining a debian specific repo file for us.
Yes there is, although there is a known issue with PNG decoding when using it on Ubuntu 14.04 and other distros with that base (such as Mint 17/17.1), and also as of yet it hasn't been updated to 25.3.2