Is the palemoon.sh code Obfuscated or Wrong Char encoding?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
WhereIsMyMindAT

Is the palemoon.sh code Obfuscated or Wrong Char encoding?

Unread post by WhereIsMyMindAT » 2015-04-28, 19:08

Hello,
Question. Since Palemoon requires a root password to install. I think prudent is to view the *.sh first before allowing so.

However, nothing past line 24 is human readable.

Thus it's either Obfuscated or Character Encoding???? (correct???) Do I need to install a char set to human readable.

1st-What Character encoding do I need to have human readable.
(interesting side bar--Bluefish completely "fails" to open. I used Gedit---(6-diff char sets, none worked).
----In Gedit, it looks like a character set error (aka-shows the "box" with four smaller boxes inside it---sure you have seen error before.
However, pasting into Firefox (it shows what appears to be obfuscated code--aka--it's "scrambled"---but not showing any Character Encoding errors (box" with four smaller boxes inside it).

I ask because I've never encountered this problem in the past (ex.--Crash Plan a "Non-Free" product allows to easily open and review install.sh because it needs sudo su---to install, why I look)
Additionally they *DO* allow a non-root install, but advise they are not able to provide full support as they consider that a "custom installation" which they are unable to Linux support (Fair)
---This is not an option with Palemoon--thus Why I want to review code.

2nd-If the code is indeed intentionally obfuscated, does anyone know why?
---FYI--I ask that question in a polite/curious way (please do not read as "antagonistic")---Just asking as it is "unique" to my experience
And, since Palemoon is "Free"---what makes me curious.

THANK YOu!!!!

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Is the palemoon.sh code Obfuscated or Wrong Char encodin

Unread post by andy80 » 2015-04-29, 01:49

I think you are referring to pminstaller.sh.

The file is a bash script similar to a self-extracting program: the stuff after line 24 is the tar.xz of the actual installer. You can obtain it by running (inside an empty directory) the command

Code: Select all

tail -n +25 path_to_pminstaller.sh | tar xJ
Then you can have a look at the actual installer.

squarefractal

Re: Is the palemoon.sh code Obfuscated or Wrong Char encodin

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-29, 04:50

WhereIsMyMindAT wrote:If the code is indeed intentionally obfuscated
The code is not obfuscated. The script is designed a self-extracting archive since it needs a lot of other components that may or may not be present.
There's a git repo, if you're looking for the source: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... -installer
WhereIsMyMindAT wrote:Additionally they *DO* allow a non-root install, but advise they are not able to provide full support as they consider that a "custom installation" which they are unable to Linux support (Fair)
http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/
It should be noted that it is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. It is distributed as an bzipped tarball which can be extracted anywhere and run by executing the "palemoon" file inside it.
that is available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/