Secure Connection Failed

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Amidmaru

Secure Connection Failed

Unread post by Amidmaru » 2015-04-20, 22:50

Hi,

Having installed latest Palemoon, Version: 25.3.1 (x64), I'm trying to access the following web site:

https://www.magentocommerce.com/products/downloads/magento/

The odd prt is that I'm getting:

"Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.magentocommerce.com. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
"

Through Firefox is working right though so, which might be the catch here?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Secure Connection Failed

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-20, 23:52

The catch is that Firefox has not (yet) disabled the encryption method the website insists on, while Pale Moon has.
More details and a workaround in the FAQ - but ultimately the website owners must offer better encryption for their site.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Amidmaru

Unread post by Amidmaru » 2015-04-21, 01:22

Moonchild wrote:The catch is that Firefox has not (yet) disabled the encryption method the website insists on, while Pale Moon has.
More details and a workaround in the FAQ - but ultimately the website owners must offer better encryption for their site.
Okay. I got the point but you see, I'm an user which is trying to access this site. At this point I don't care too much about that aspect because I'm not buying anything from.

If you are trying to tell me that from this point further I can't acess 3 sites from 10 because the admins didn't do some SSL tricks then I will choose less security instead of higher security.

Don't get me wrong, I know which are the goods aspects of what you just said but looking at the big picture I'm kinda affected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-21, 11:13

The FAQ has a workaround - if you don't care and want to access the sites, then please use the workaround and enable RC4 - it takes 2 seconds to do. I put those instructions in for a reason; I understand it may be annoying that you have to switch a preference, but I try to follow RFC specifications at the very least. Voicing your displeasure is fine, but understand that this encryption cipher was disabled by default for good reasons and it won't be changed.

PS: They aren't "SSL tricks". They are simple settings that any webmaster who makes the choice to offer https should be aware of and should maintain sane values for. It has nothing to do with you buying anything from them - it has everything to do with the webmaster actually having the required responsibility for offering https traffic to the public. In fact, most if not all of the servers affected by this have had the administrators of them not use secure defaults of their web server software and specifically restricting encryption to a single cipher. One that is now obsolete.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-04-21, 11:31

@admin, @moonchild:
There are so many of these threads, clearly people don't bother to read FAQs or use the provided search. Would it be possible just to dump all of these (both past and future) into a single thread?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-21, 12:02

People will still not read if it's dumped in a single thread...

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-04-21, 21:20

I know, but you can keep dumping new ones into that thread and we don't have to wade through them viewing topic lists.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-04-22, 07:57

x-15a2 wrote:I know, but you can keep dumping new ones into that thread and we don't have to wade through them viewing topic lists.
You would need someone who is OBSESSIVE about doing that to deal with merging and pruning threads constantly. (No, I am not gonna do it..)