Unity and Pale Moon- there's gotta be a better way!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
raven_sirius

Unity and Pale Moon- there's gotta be a better way!

Unread post by raven_sirius » 2015-04-16, 03:20

Hi,
So the other day I'm looking for addons to make FF bearable again, specifically in the tabs region, and I find reference to PM. I take a look at PM and think all my dreams are coming true. Download, install, and everything is fanatastic. Except for TweakIMDB. But I work around that... for now. See, what I'm really trying to achieve is a return to Pre-Australis TabTililing... and it seems that nightmares are dreams too! Because in the process of trying to get tabs to work for me I've managed to frak up PM.

I want to start cold with PM. But... like any great piece of software... it's not so easy to get rid of. Doesn't even get read in Synaptic!!

So... is there a better Desktop Manager than Unity, for PM, or is it better to go deeper and scrap Ubuntu? If so what is the better option after that? and please don't say Gentoo, becasue I haven't got that much of a concentration span.

I'm running an 8 core fast AMD on a new ASUS board, with 8 Gb Ram and last year's middle of the range Radeon.

squarefractal

Re: Unity and Pale Moon- there's gotta be a better way!

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-16, 05:16

You actually need to make a new profile, by using palemoon -p. Uninstalling Pale Moon will not help here in your above stated case, since it would get rid of the program but not the user data.

However, if you need to actually uninstall Pale Moon, that can be done using the installer -- use the "Uninstall Pale Moon" option.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-16, 08:16

raven_sirius wrote:I want to start cold with PM. But... like any great piece of software... it's not so easy to get rid of. Doesn't even get read in Synaptic!!
Synaptic and the underlying package management only recognize .deb packages either manually installed or through them. The normal pminstaller version can technically not be recognized.
So... is there a better Desktop Manager than Unity, for PM, or is it better to go deeper and scrap Ubuntu? If so what is the better option after that? and please don't say Gentoo, becasue I haven't got that much of a concentration span.
Unity works fine with Pale Moon, been using it for several month on Trusty, the only "problem" is the missing menu integration in the title bar. So there is no reason to switch your distro or desktop environment just for Pale Moon.

raven_sirius

Unread post by raven_sirius » 2015-04-17, 00:06

SvenG wrote:Synaptic and the underlying package management only recognize .deb packages either manually installed or through them. The normal pminstaller version can technically not be recognized.
It was late when I installed Pale Moon and forgot that it hadn't been a .deb package. Thanks. I promise I'm not a total buffon. *edit*Maybe I am, I just realised I spelled buffoon wrong!
SvenG wrote:Unity works fine with Pale Moon, been using it for several month on Trusty, the only "problem" is the missing menu integration in the title bar. So there is no reason to switch your distro or desktop environment just for Pale Moon.
But it is annoying - the menu integration thing - and I refer back to the subject heading here: "There's gotta be a better way!"

I guess what I'm saying is, for the reason I'm looking for another browser, I'm not really happy with the desktop manager integration with itself. Unity and gnome have both become pretty bloated, and cumbersome, 'out of the box'. So if I were to ask the question another way, I would ask if anyone has had a better time in another distro, all things considered?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-04-17, 04:57

raven_sirius wrote:I guess what I'm saying is, for the reason I'm looking for another browser, I'm not really happy with the desktop manager integration with itself. Unity and gnome have both become pretty bloated, and cumbersome, 'out of the box'. So if I were to ask the question another way, I would ask if anyone has had a better time in another distro, all things considered?
It's been several years since I used Ubuntu, on account of preferring other desktop environments than Unity.
Off-topic:
Although it is not my 1st choice, I didn't find it as bad as some people on the internet make it out to be (last I used it anyway).
My wife uses Pale Moon on Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE, I use Manjaro Linux (also with Cinnamon). I also have Pale Moon installed on my mother's Lubuntu (with LXDE), my brother-in-law's netbook (Mint with XFCE), and in a VM with Mint and MATE. I've never encountered any desktop manager integration problems on any of the above systems.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-17, 08:10

You can, if you want to try, also install another DE in your Ubuntu. On my test box, I had MATE, Cinnamon, GNOME, GNOME Flashback, Xfce and KDE running, still trying to get Openbox working, that one is not that easy. You should be able to find instruction for running them on Ubuntu. I wouldn't recommend that for a productivity system but for testing it is okay. That way you can have a look at the DE and than decide which distro you want to use, so it is just one decision at a time. The only DE that is know to have serious issues with Pale Moon is KDE when using the Oxygen GTK engine, all others should not cause any trouble. If you want to switch to another *buntu, keep in mind that Ubuntu 15.04 is about to be released in a few days if you want to use the latest, with the LTS it doesn't matter that much.

jtarin

Unread post by jtarin » 2015-04-19, 15:49

There is the newer Ubuntu-MATE. Not MATE DE added in Ubuntu, but a separate entity.