PM4Linux PPA version (Trusty)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SvenG

PM4Linux PPA version (Trusty)

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-02, 18:26

Don't know, if Marián is reading here, I hope so, cause somehow launchpad doesn't like me (can't register).

I have just tried the Trusty package and it worked fairly well, just one thing is odd: using the same profile the statusbar in the PPA version looks entirely different from the one in the installer version, there is for example a close button shown that I don't have in my normal profile (it's not enabled), the NoSquint display (using the actual status bar area) is displayed on the other side, I have moved it to the far left and it gets moved to the far right with the PPA version. And the really odd thing is, that I can't move it back to the far left. Now the really, really odd thing: the options for the statusbar are missing. So, I created a new profile and the statusbar options are still missing. The statusbar itself is there and the icons are there and seem functional.

Another minor thing: some icons in about:addons were not displayed correctly. got a white square instead.

squarefractal

Re: PM4Linux PPA version (Trusty)

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-03, 03:53

S/he didn't run the make package step, so obviously...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-04-03, 21:29

I would have to agree strictly by the sound of what is happening.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-04, 02:37

This should be taken up with the maintainer urgently, since it's a contributed build.
Off-topic:
The contributed builds page should be updated though, since Travis is the new maintainer.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-04-04, 04:26

squarefractal wrote:This should be taken up with the maintainer urgently, since it's a contributed build.
I just sent Marián an email through Launchpad.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-04, 08:17

trava90 wrote:
squarefractal wrote:This should be taken up with the maintainer urgently, since it's a contributed build.
I just sent Marián an email through Launchpad.

Really gotta findout, what's the problem with Launchpad and me....

marian_kadanka

Unread post by marian_kadanka » 2015-04-05, 15:50

Hello,

I have fixed missing statusbar intergration. Updates are currently building and should be ready to download from Launchpad in a few minutes. Thank you for reporting the bug.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-05, 16:39

marian_kadanka wrote:Hello,

I have fixed missing statusbar intergration. Updates are currently building and should be ready to download from Launchpad in a few minutes. Thank you for reporting the bug.
Thank you, I will try again later and report back :)

Edit: Statusbar works! :thumbup:

There is still some sort of weird problem with some icons in about:addons with Slim Addons Manager or in All-in-One-Sidebar. Steps to reproduce:
* Install Pale Moon from PPA (Trusty in my case)
* Install Adblock Latitude
* Install Slim Addons Manager
It will look like this
PPA version + ABL + Slim Addons Manager
PPA version + ABL + Slim Addons Manager
now start the tar version, and you will get this
tar version + ABL + Slim Addons Manager
tar version + ABL + Slim Addons Manager
when you disable Slim Addons Manager it looks okay in both
both versions + ABL + Slim Addons Manager (disabled)
both versions + ABL + Slim Addons Manager (disabled)
It's always using the same newly created profile in both cases.

No big deal but there still seems to be something different.
Off-topic:
BTW the Pale Moon package is ~15 MB smaller than the most recent Firefox package, that's nice. :)
EDIT 2: got the problem. Pale Moon can't scale images. Take
http://postimg.org/image/y7zmly9ef/full/
as a test image. You can open website with no problems, now scale the website down. In my case it happens between 30 and 40% that the red image turns into a white one.

marian_kadanka

Unread post by marian_kadanka » 2015-04-06, 12:00

SvenG wrote:EDIT 2: got the problem. Pale Moon can't scale images. Take
http://postimg.org/image/y7zmly9ef/full/
as a test image. You can open website with no problems, now scale the website down. In my case it happens between 30 and 40% that the red image turns into a white one.
I have to confirm this strange behaviour. Going to investigate further, it may take a while.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-06, 12:09

Let me know if you need any further info.

Maybe we[tm] should look for a few more beta testers for your Pale Moon PPA, actually, we have a bunch of Mint and Ubuntu users here, maybe they would like to help out. The more people are testing, the sooner we might find all these little bugs and glitches. So people, come on!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-06, 13:20

Although I use Mint 99% of the time now, I'm a non-technical person, not a power user. To help out, a power user is definitely needed because a power user in linux knows how to write code and save it to a folder. A power user is also very comfortable using the linux Terminal.

In essence, I do not know how to write code for linux to put into some folder, don't know the commands to use in ubuntu based linux distros (su, sudo, apt, etc) when using the linux Terminal and have gotten nothing but frustration when I've been forced to use the Terminal.

With my above limitations (weaknesses), this is why I chose to use Mint as my foray into a linux Distro because the last time I used the Terminal in Mint was in 2013. Ditto for saving some code in a folder in Mint. When I had to use some coding for Mint with the problem I was having, I had to research the Mint forums "hoping" to find the information and copy it from someone who had already solved the exact same problem I had. I was lucky I did, but if I hadn't, the problem I had in 2013 would still be an unsolved problem today in 2015.

I just wanted to let people know that assuming a person (me) who uses a linux distro like Mint and who stays silent...............is interpreted as not wanting to help.To help, it takes knowledge and I don't have the knowledge.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-06, 14:06

No, you don't need that much knowledge. Actually, you just need to keep your eyes open while using the browser and report what you see when there is something odd or different from the stuff you know from the none-PPA version (ideally you should be able to compare the two in the same computer with the same profile.). See my reports, they are also not very technical. The best way to find bugs is simply using the software.

Anyway, nobody has to and nobody will blame anybody for not testing. But with the amount of Ubuntu/Mint users we have here, we should find at least a handful of people.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-04-07, 05:57

SvenG wrote:No, you don't need that much knowledge. Actually, you just need to keep your eyes open while using the browser and report what you see when there is something odd or different from the stuff you know from the none-PPA version (ideally you should be able to compare the two in the same computer with the same profile.). See my reports, they are also not very technical. The best way to find bugs is simply using the software.

Anyway, nobody has to and nobody will blame anybody for not testing. But with the amount of Ubuntu/Mint users we have here, we should find at least a handful of people.
Well said Sven!

If I have time today, I'm going to install Ubuntu in a VM and see if I can do some testing myself. I'm also talking with Marián via email, so hopefully we can get these issues resolved quickly.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-04-07, 21:06

Looks like the problem is related to gcc 4.8.2 being used to compile the Trusty package.

When Pale Moon is built with gcc 4.8.2, it causes some image rendering issues (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4335).

I'm not familiar enough with Ubuntu or Launchpad to know if gcc 4.7 can be used instead.

Is there anyone using Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin who can test this? The PPA package for Precise uses gcc 4.6.3, it'd be nice to have a comparison (and I don't have time right now to download 12.04 and set up another VM).

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-11, 19:20

I have been using the PPA PM4Linux the past few days on my second Trusty box and besides the image scaling issue I found no further problems with my usual surfing behavior which mainly consists of using blogs, forums, wikis. So besides that one thing looking pretty good :thumbup:

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-12, 02:19

trava90 wrote:I don't have time right now to download 12.04 and set up another VM).
Simply unpack the Precise .deb yourself!

Code: Select all

ar -x foo.deb
sudo tar -zxf data.tar.* -C / > package-files.txt
That would give you an installation of PM from that package on your system.

Later, you can just remove this install using:

Code: Select all

while read line; do rm -rf "$line"; done < package-files.txt

C1xLb

Unread post by C1xLb » 2015-06-11, 06:15

Are there any plans to update the PPA to the latest version? I originally installed PM from https://launchpad.net/~marian.kadanka/+archive/ubuntu/palemoon but it was several versions behind the release...

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-11, 07:36

I have not been able to contact the maintainer of the PPA. I would recommend removing the PPA for now and update to the latest version with the installer. If I can reach Marián I'll let you all know.

C1xLb

Unread post by C1xLb » 2015-06-11, 07:38

Thank you very much!

C1xLb

Unread post by C1xLb » 2015-06-14, 14:01

I've been reading up on adding applications to PPA's and creating Debian/Ubuntu packages. This page seems to cover the core of things, over and above lanchpad, keys and the background requirements.

Although I've not done this before, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to update or create a new PPA for Pale Moon. Would anyone be interested in this?