[Solved] Single-word search in address bar loads slowly

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mmmaco

[Solved] Single-word search in address bar loads slowly

Unread post by mmmaco » 2015-04-02, 07:31

I'm having problems with single-word searches in the address bar, even with Pale Moon in safe mode. As an example, when searching for the word 'test', it can take up to 15 seconds before I land on the results page. Performing the exact same search using the dedicated search bar takes under 2 seconds. If I search for multiple words, eg 'test two', both the address bar and search bar load quickly under 2 seconds. Is there a way to speed up single-word searches?

I've scanned the forums and googled a little bit, my understanding is that Firefox/Pale Moon might be treating it as a resource address instead of a search query.
My system is:
--- Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
--- CPU: i5-2500K
--- Search is set to DuckDuckGo
Running in VMware workstation, on a Windows 7 host.

For what it's worth, I have Pale Moon on the Windows 7 host and the searches are fast in both the address bar & search bar - so it seems that my problem is isolated to the linux version.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Supernova

Re: Single-word search in address bar loads slowly

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-04-02, 10:08

It's "working as designed".
When you enter a single word, it will try to resolve an internet adress (well, what's stupid is that its try to complete are pretty limited, e.g. it fail to ad www. at the start + .com at the end of a test etc.)
I think there is a about:config switch to change this behavior but I don't know which.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-04-02, 12:34

Do this in Pale Moon Commander:

Or:
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled;false

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-02, 12:51

I typed in the word "test" in my Navigation/Address bar and the results page in Duck Duck Go showed up in 2 seconds. I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in 64 bit linux Mint 17 (XFCE), not running in a VM station so I don't think this is a linux problem. The problem might be with VMware.

I didn't check the Search bar since I never use the Search bar. In my PM setup, I put the Search bar in the Customize window/box.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

mmmaco

Unread post by mmmaco » 2015-04-02, 23:04

Turns out the problem did have something to do with VMware Workstation.

First, I unticked the option in Commander, restarted Pale Moon and verified the about:config entry was set to false, but there was no improvement.
Knowing that it should work in non-VM'd Mint, I changed the networking settings in VMware from NAT to bridged:

I don't know nearly enough about networking to pinpoint why, but now the address bar works perfectly.
Thanks everyone for your help!