[Solved] Problems upgrading/installing new version on Ubuntu

Support and discussions for the x86/x64 Linux version of Pale Moon.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

cornell737

[Solved] Problems upgrading/installing new version on Ubuntu

Unread post by cornell737 » 2015-03-30, 00:19

Couldn't update, uninstalled and now can't install...

I wanted to update my palemoon (version 24 something) on my ubuntu 12 distro. I went to palemoon.org, downloaded for linux, extracted pmistaller.sh from pminstaller-0.1.7.tar.bz2 and ran it. It wouldn't update because it couldn't find version information for the installed version and asked that I reinstall Pale Moon.

There's no reinstall option, so I chose Uninstall Pale Moon, which it claims to've done, without error. Then I selected Install Pale Moon and it complains that there's another version of Pale Moon already installed and asks that I uninstall it.

I can uninstall repeatedly, but can't install. I've rebooted to no avail.

So I'm stuck. Any help?
Last edited by cornell737 on 2015-03-30, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

cornell737

Re: Problems upgrading/installing new version on Ubuntu

Unread post by cornell737 » 2015-03-30, 02:33

I found a link, http://www.itworld.com/article/2696377/ ... 14-04.html, that claims to instruct in installation to ubuntu 14. But it didn't work for me.

I followed all the steps but attempting to invoke palemoon gets me the error: XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/palemoon25.3.1/palemoon/libxul.so:
libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Found similar instructions for 25.2.1, http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-palemo ... x-systems/, same result.

Any help?

squarefractal

Re: Problems upgrading/installing new version on Ubuntu

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-30, 03:16

Also, as far as the first post is concerned, it looks like you installed Pale Moon initially from some package, and then trying to install it from the installer. This will not work since the location where your package puts files is different than where the installer puts it.

Please try getting a full PM archive from Files > 25.3.1 > palemoon-*.tar.bz2 and extract it in your home directory, and try running it. That X lib related error shouldn't be really happening, unless you don't have X.

SvenG

Re: Problems upgrading/installing new version on Ubuntu

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-30, 08:45

For future reference before searching some article on the interwebs check
http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/
for install instruction, this explains how to properly install Pale Moon on Linux with or without the installer.

Best follow squarefractal instruction, if Pale Moon works, remove all things Pale Moon except for your profile(s) manually and try to reinstall.

IIRC the installer checks application.ini in /opt/palemoon/ for the local version instead of checking the output of palemoon -v. If that file isn't found... well, it can't do anything.
cornell737 wrote:Found similar instructions for 25.2.1, http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-palemo ... x-systems/, same result.
Off-topic:
Typical Geekster article, sloppy written. Should have linked to the Wiki on SF, who wants to start Pale Moon from the terminal?

cornell737

Re: Problems upgrading/installing new version on Ubuntu

Unread post by cornell737 » 2015-03-30, 22:36

Thank you all for your responses.

I looked at the article at http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/. As the installation suggestions had already been tried, I went for the uninstall instructions, hoping I'd be able to then use pminstaller. Well, that didn't uninstall enough.

I then tried a sudo find / -iname "palemoon" and found a few more locations and removed them.

Then I ran pminstaller again. And I selected Install and it went on about its business! Although I did get a window popup saying "Chromium can not be run as root."

Anyway, pminstaller seemed to finish normally. I closed it and went to the menu, Internet, Pale Moon Web Browser, clicked and it ran!

It even knew that it had not closed well and opened with the Restore Session page.

And all is right with the world ;-)

Thanks again folks.

Locked