Which files to exclude from backup?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SvenG

Which files to exclude from backup?

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-28, 12:12

I am working on a little backup script (in Perl) for Pale Moon and FossaMail. When the respective app isn't running, I think there shouldn't be a problem to just zip the entire folder. However, when the app is running, it creates a couple of temp files and some of these are as far as I understood locking the profile, so I want to exclude these, from my own research and stuff found on the internet I identified

Code: Select all

*/lock 
*/.parentlock 
*/parent.lock

*/cookies.sqlite-shm 
*/cookies.sqlite-wal 
*/extensions.sqlite-journal 
*/places.sqlite-shm 
*/places.sqlite-wal
*/webappsstore.sqlite-shm 
*/webappsstore.sqlite-wal
From what I found out so far the ones causing potential trouble are just the first three while parent.lock only appears to play a role on Windows. Is that correct and is that all I need to keep in mind?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Which files to exclude from backup?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-28, 12:21

If a profile is in use, your backup will not be complete. The files you are excluding hold changes since the last startup for the various databases, so making a backup excluding those files will only back up the files in their previous state.

You should only back up files when the browser is not running if you want a complete backup.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Re: Which files to exclude from backup?

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-28, 12:42

Not to have the very latest version of the profile backuped wouldn't be such a terrible problem. I run the script with a little delay on login, just want to exclude the files in case I startup the apps too early. From my usual workflow that shouldn't happen but sometimes... well... and according to Murphy that's the time where something breaks. I could also check if the app is running and end the script before the backup was created but in that case I only have an even older backup.