Pale Moon issues with Steamcommunity.com

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Makitk

Pale Moon issues with Steamcommunity.com

Unread post by Makitk » 2015-02-23, 23:52

I've been trying to find the cause of a rather nasty issue with the steamcommunity.com website and pale moon browser for linux.

The discussion with valve support can be found here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... ssues/3717
For a few months now, the steamcommunity.com website has been giving me problems where elements that do work on the steampowered.com website do not work on the steamcommunity.com website.
The dropdown menus don't function, forum- and comment-threads do not allow me to switch pages, just about every element that requires some scripted functionality fails.
Now, I am aware of adblockers, scriptblockers, and the like, and I have turned each and every single one off to try and see if that is the issue, but it is not.
I am using a fully HTML5 capable web browser, but the steamcommunity.com website still does not wish to work properly.
Are you discriminating browsers on useragent strings? If so, there is no visible clue of that. (It is also a bad practice.) Is it because I am running Linux? Again, there is no visible clue that hints at my OS not being supported if that were the case.
I am honestly at a loss what could cause this inability for the steamcommunity.com site to function, while the steampowered.com website functions perfectly.
Steam support can't find the issue from their end, I'm wondering if anyone here may be able to help me out?
I've done a reinstall, tried a clean Pale Moon without any plugins of any sort, and I keep running into the bug where steamcommunity.com is unresponsive, while steampowered.com works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon issues with Steamcommunity.com

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-02-24, 04:29

I just came from the http://steamcommunity.com website (after reading your message) and everything seems to be working fine for me using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (25.2.1). My linux distro of choice is 64 bit Mint 17 with the Xfce desktop environment.

The drop down menus work for me. I can also read some of the discussions in various topics. I don't have a Steam account so I cannot type any type of replies to some of these topics. I will not make a Steam account since I'm not into games.

The only adblocker I'm using is Ablock Latitude 3.0.2 which is enabled for this site and my Firefox Compat mode is not enabled (it's turned off) so this Steam site sees my user agent as:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:25.2) Gecko/20150123 PaleMoon/25.2.1
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Makitk

Unread post by Makitk » 2015-02-24, 11:16

Night Wing wrote:I just came from the http://steamcommunity.com website (after reading your message) and everything seems to be working fine for me using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (25.2.1). My linux distro of choice is 64 bit Mint 17 with the Xfce desktop environment.

The drop down menus work for me. I can also read some of the discussions in various topics. I don't have a Steam account so I cannot type any type of replies to some of these topics. I will not make a Steam account since I'm not into games.

The only adblocker I'm using is Ablock Latitude 3.0.2 which is enabled for this site and my Firefox Compat mode is not enabled (it's turned off) so this Steam site sees my user agent as:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:25.2) Gecko/20150123 PaleMoon/25.2.1
Ok, so the issue must be on my system then, since no-one else seems able to replicate it. I have no clue what it could be.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-24, 12:49

I use the steam website regularly and never encountered a problem either.
You may want to check if you are using some overzealous blocking of content? Or perhaps one of your extensions is causing issues, if you use any?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-24, 22:12

I have had minor issues with the Steam site but I assume they were server issues because it forgot who i was and had null languages set and I WAS having connection issues with steam at the time so yeah.. But figured I should throw that in..