Pale Moon Sync issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
HaloSlayer255

Pale Moon Sync issues

Unread post by HaloSlayer255 » 2015-02-07, 23:33

Hello all,

Seeing as this is my first post, thought I'd introduce myself as well. I am HaloSlayer255, I have a proficient knowledge in networking and soldering, I don't currently have any active certs though. I recently put Arch Linux on my laptop a Gateway MD2614u and it boots in 30 seconds on a crucial MX100 256GB SSD.

I hope this is the right place as sync capabilities were once from a plugin in firefox. On to my query:
I have Pale Moon Sync configured on this new Arch Linux install. I had other systems configured for pale moon sync, but unlinked those as a troubleshooting step. So it is currently just the Arch Linux install using Pale Moon Sync.

I keep getting strange errors and the sync fails to complete, did this with a win7 system, and another linux install on a different laptop. Especially this line in the logs "Sync.Service DEBUG Exception: Could not acquire lock. Label: "service.js: sync". No traceback available" Attached is a copy of my sync-log.

Thank you in advance,
HaloSlayer255
Attachments
error-1423339871066.txt
Sync Log from Arch Linux Laptop Gateway MD2614u system.
(55.42 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Pale Moon Sync issues

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-02-09, 08:55

Hi HaloSlayer255! Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm not sure what would be causing the error you are receiving (Moonchild will probably have to weigh in). My best suggestion would be to start with a clean slate and create a new account and then try synching your systems.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-09, 11:23

Everything looks OK in the log up to the point where a bookmark could not be moved. This failure likely locked the places database and prevented further syncing.

Code: Select all

Sync.Store.Bookmarks	DEBUG	Could not move item 00uBSTf6Dx6a
Do you have any extensions installed that manipulate bookmarks, passwords or history data?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

HaloSlayer255

Unread post by HaloSlayer255 » 2015-02-10, 13:26

Hello trava90 and Moonchild,

Sorry this is a late reply. I typically reach these sooner but was off of my systems for a good bit of time.

I might try that trava90, I am guessing have only 1 computer set to sync and change the password and recovery key?

To Moonchild, I actually have a few addons that make changes to bookmarks (bookmark deduplicator and bookmark duplicate cleaner) I also have
a list of addons that I'll upload to avoid making the post too long.
list_of_extensions.txt
List of Extensions used by HaloSlayer255 in Firefox and now Pale Moon.
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Thanks again,
HaloSlayer255

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-02-13, 06:27

HaloSlayer255 wrote:I might try that trava90, I am guessing have only 1 computer set to sync and change the password and recovery key?
I'd create a brand new account, password, recovery key, etc. using just your Arch install and see if it will sync. If it does, I'd try syncing your other systems with your new account and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'd guess it would have something to do with one of your add-ons (as Moonchild suggested).

HaloSlayer255

Unread post by HaloSlayer255 » 2015-02-13, 20:14

Just tried that with my gmail account, didn't recieve a recovery key and it tried to sync on browser restart and said the username/password was wrong. Is there any chance I can have the new account deleted? Perhaps the old account as well, then restart from the beginning. I created the new account about 20 minutes ago if that helps with the timeframe.

Thanks again,
HaloSlayer255

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-02-13, 22:11

HaloSlayer255 wrote:Is there any chance I can have the new account deleted? Perhaps the old account as well, then restart from the beginning.
I believe that is something Moonchild will have to do for you.

HaloSlayer255

Unread post by HaloSlayer255 » 2015-02-20, 07:08

I was able to get the accounts removed and setup a new sync account from my gmail.

It seems to sync on the initial device and OS that I setup from. In this scenario it was a windows 7 Desktop eMachines-el1358g-51w. I have bookmarks backed-up from all of the devices using the export to html method. Then merged and restored onto the initial device and OS, then removed duplicates using bookmark deduplicator. A thought that crossed my mind from reading https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-sync-troubleshooting-and-tips under the section mentioning cookies. I have self-destructing cookies as an extension installed on all systems perhaps the extension is wiping a cookie needed by pale moon sync?

Anyways here is the log from my Gateway MD2614u laptop with windows vista.
error-1424414450665.txt
Most recent log of pale moon sync on windows vista laptop dual booted with arch linux.
(45.88 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is being a pain,
HaloSlayer255

P.S. To anyone experiencing difficulty during this winter storm in the US and anywhere else if it is snowing heavily, hopefully you are staying safe.