I broke my Palemoon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
troypulk

I broke my Palemoon

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-01-14, 01:16

I'm using SolydX 64bit 2014-11 with all updates

I decided to do a fresh format and install of SolydX and start over.

Palemoon 25.1 installed just fine from the installer and manually with the linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 file, but it only opens in safe mode and when I click any item in the menu bar like help it causes palemoon to crash.

This is what I get when started from console:
/usr/bin/palemoon

(process:2683): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/palemoon/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/palemoon/PaleMoon/pmsrc/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
Segmentation fault
any idea's as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: I broke my Palemoon

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2015-01-14, 02:28

This sounds very similar to the oxygen-gtk GTK2 theme issue that we've encountered in the past, but I've only seen that occur under KDE, not under Xfce. And unfortunately I've given up on SolydXK and reverted to Mint, so I no longer have a SolydX box to test this on.

Under Settings > Appearance, what do you have set under the Style and Icons tabs?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

troypulk

Unread post by troypulk » 2015-01-14, 04:27

Your right it was the oxygen-gtk GTK2 theme issue.

I switched them to something else now it works.

Thanks

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2015-01-14, 05:34

You're very welcome, glad I could help. This is apparently due to this particular bug in oxygen-gtk:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341181

If you absolutely positively need to use the oxygen-gtk theme, you can supposedly get around that by creating a simlink for palemoon that uses one of the application names in the list in the first post there, and then run palemoon under that app's name. I've been experimenting with creating a simlink via ...

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon /usr/bin/firefox
... and then running Pale Moon as "firefox" (sorry, Moonchild!) from the terminal and so far it has worked with the oxygen-gtk theme. Note that my simlink example assumes firefox is not already installed on your Linux box - if you do have firefox installed, pick another app in that list.

My next step is going to be downloading the source for the oxygen-gtk engine, adding palemoon to the list of apps in oxygenapplicationname.cpp, and then compiling it myself, but I have to rebuild my main Linux workstation before I'll be ready to test that.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.