[Solved] Cannot start PM 25.1.0 on Suse 11

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

[Solved] Cannot start PM 25.1.0 on Suse 11

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-27, 14:31

I decided to have a try at PM 25, so I retrieved palemoon-25.1.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2, untarred it locally, backed-up my profile and started with a fresh profile. Then ran ~/palemoon/palemoon and got

Code: Select all

symbol lookup error: /poseidon/lucio/palemoon/libxul.so: undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual

(irrespective of the directory I ran it or on LD_LBRARY_PATH setting)

So I reverted back to the (/usr installed) PM 24 (cleaned up also all leftovers)

Any suggestion ?
Last edited by Moonchild on 2014-12-01, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked Solved
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cannot start PM 25.1.0 on Suse 11

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-27, 14:52

Hmm. Seems some minimum required dependencies have changed.
I guess it's because of our maintainer switch, building on a new environment, and this new environment baking in this symbol that is not present in older gtk libraries.

You should be able to fix this by updating your gtk library to 2.24 or later.

@Trava: can you investigate the cause of this, and if possible, either add a dependency indicator somewhere if possible (version >=2.24) or make sure Pale Moon gets built against a more compatible (older) gtk lib?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-27, 15:03

Some DDG hits also suggested the following:
You will need to install the new gdk-pixbuf2 package(s).
...and IRC chat logs say that possibly the gtk library in the build environment is too old, not too new..? Gets a little confusing for me there, not being intimately familiar with Linux :P
@Trava, maybe you can find out more, but it seems we used to build with an older gtk lib in the environment than what you are using, which causes this problem...
ldconfig -v | grep gtk might help
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-27, 15:44

ldconfig output says
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 -> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 -> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1
libgvplugin_gtk.so.6 -> libgvplugin_gtk.so.6.0.0

I would be reluctant to update a "system-bundled" library considered that openSUSE 11.3 is somewhat old. I usually do a major OS update only when I change hardware, and that's not planned for this year.

PM24 which I loaded in September was fine. Any chance than any of the earlier 25.0.x will be OK ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-11-27, 16:21

Moonchild wrote:it seems we used to build with an older gtk lib in the environment than what you are using, which causes this problem...
I can confirm this, gtk 2.24 is being used instead of 2.20 used in earlier releases. I've sent a PM to Travis regarding this issue.
Lucio Chiappetti wrote:Any chance than any of the earlier 25.0.x will be OK ?
Upto 25.0.2 should be perfectly fine.

@Moonchild, can you upload the VM images to pm4linux.sf.net? If there are are further maintainer changes down the line, this is going to be a recurring problem.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-11-27, 16:46

Moonchild wrote:@Trava: can you investigate the cause of this, and if possible, either add a dependency indicator somewhere if possible (version >=2.24) or make sure Pale Moon gets built against a more compatible (older) gtk lib?
I've done some reaserch and am working on it. I'm going to rebuild 25.1.0 using the older gtk lib and see if that resolves the issue. I'll keep you all posted.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-27, 17:57

I have tried 25.0.2 and it runs fine, after a fresh test, I was able to use all my old config including all extensions (inclusive of ABP, I plan to migrate to ABL asap). I was expecting some dramatic changes in the GUI, but I pleasantly found it to be OK.
Thanks again for a great browser !

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 18:12

Current Mozilla Buildslaves for Linux use exactly GTK 2.18 for the record. It was also made the minimum version recently because SeaMonkey buildslaves were recently updated to CentOS 6 so no need for them to deal with anything below that like the current min in our build system being 2.10. But Firefox and Thunderbird have been targeting 2.18 for a long time now. I would expect 2.20 is fine especially seeing as versions built against that seem to work for the reporter of the issue.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-27, 19:45

According to recent posts people have run into the same issue with FF 31.0 requiring gtk 2.24 -- I assume it was because of the same build slave OS/lib update on their end.

Rebuilding with gtk 2.20 should be fine, and should solve this issue according to all info I found online in several fora and bugtrackers.

@a2g: I'm not uploading my VMs to sourceforge. These build environments are catered to my own workstation and workflow setup and are tied into a number of on-line and local net services which nobody else should have access to. So, Travis' way of going about this, changing gtk lib version on the build system and rebuilding, is the best solution.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-11-28, 01:30

Ok, I got the gtk 2.20 libs installed and have rebuilt 25.1.0 x64. I downloaded and ran it in a Ubuntu Server 10.04 VM I set up after a similar complaint for that perticular distro version, and everything appeared to work correctly.

@Lucio, can you please download this rebuild and let me know if it works for you?

I will try to get the x86 rebuilt tonight sometime. After it's done and if it works for you, I will upload them to SourceForge to prevent anyone else from having this issue.

Pale Moon 25.1.0 for Linux x64 build 2 (this link will expire after 1 day so please download and let me know asap)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-11-28, 21:54

OK, I've tested the new rebuilds in a couple different environments and everythings seems to work as it should. I'm going to replace the previous builds on SourceForge with these.
@Lucio: You should be able to grab the 25.1.0 release from the Pale Moon for Linux site and they should now work correctly for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-12-01, 11:21

Sorry for late reply. Due to weekend this thread went to the second page of "recent posts" and I did not notice it until now. I confirm 25.1.0 last build now works on my system. Thanks again !

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-12-01, 11:24

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:I confirm 25.1.0 last build now works on my system. Thanks again !
Great! :)