Super easy (??'s) re:restore Icon in Menu / command line run

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
WhereIsMyMindAT

Super easy (??'s) re:restore Icon in Menu / command line run

Unread post by WhereIsMyMindAT » 2014-11-24, 18:21

Hey, thanks for reading. Have simple question. (well, 2)

1st-How do I restore the Icon to my Menu (Gnome/XFCE4--Menu--upper left_) . (unrelated to PM--lost several Icons, reinstalling the "environment" restored most--not Palemoon.
(tried to run the installer again--simplify to lay down over installed---says need to install other first)--don't mind doing that, but will I lose my Profile/Extension???

Thus prefer a command line fix.

The "dead" Icon, points to /opt/palemoon %u however trying that from command line does not work. (even in root)

root@Dooley:/home/bender# /opt/palemoon %u
bash: /opt/palemoon: Is a directory
root@Dooley:/home/bender#
(that's the command line for the dead icon properties).

2nd-For future, How do I command line start PM? ??? Of course FF is simple "firefox"---PM won't fire like that for me. (not a custom install).

Only time I've tar balled an install that needed manual icon set up was OpenOffice...and don't think (??????) this works for Palemoon.

(open office)
Integrate the Desktop
sudo dpkg -i en-US/DEBS/*.deb

THANK YOU!!!!

access2godzilla

Re: Super easy (??'s) re:restore Icon in Menu / command line

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-11-25, 10:25

No, you will not lose any of your profile data (extensions, history, bookmarks) by uninstalling or reinstalling Pale Moon. If you want to manually edit the file, open /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop and correct the icon entry there.

As for command line launching, "palemoon" should work... if it doesn't try /opt/palemoon/palemoon.