Inclusion in Puppylinux distros

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Inclusion in Puppylinux distros

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-19, 17:58

vicmz wrote:Hello MoonChild,

How does this affect localized versions of Puppy Linux (editions with a non-English language as system-default)? Since the terms state that altering the browser is not allowed, does it mean that the default language cannot be changed (to Spanish, for example)? Does it mean that the Puppy Linux local homepage cannot be set as the browser homepage by default to guide users (including information about the Palemoon browser)? What about extensions, does it mean that extensions cannot be included by default?
Correct on all accounts. if you want to include an altered version for different locales, if you want to change the default homepage and/or if you want to bundle extensions, you have to ask me first, let me know what's changed exactly, etc.
the first isn't too big a deal, but the other two, and especially bundling pre-installed extensions is a problem under the default redistribution license and the intent behind it. People have to have the choice to install or not install extensions. you can recommend it and make it an optional install but you can not include it in the browser redistribution without my permission.
The default puppylinux information page can easily be achieved with a shortcut, but should not be set as the browser's home page.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vicmz

Unread post by vicmz » 2014-12-25, 05:05

Then 666philb's approach is better in this case. According to your reply, can I request permission to:

- include PaleMoon as default browser (unaltered) in Puppy Linux derivatives?
- include PaleMoon as default browser of foreign language editions, with the sole modification of the default language?
- package PaleMoon in Puppy Linux formats (PET & SFS), both unaltered and with the sole modification of the default language for people who do not understand English, for distribution in forums or websites?
- if necessary, provide simple how-to guides, either online or as a document?

In addition, is it OK if I include a category named "Help" in the Puppy Linux menu, with .desktop files directing to html files (about diverse topics) that should be opened in the browser that is set as default by the user, stored online or locally, since they do not alter the PaleMoon homepage?

Note that other users of Puppy Linux, especially in the different languages (French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, etc.) are or may be interested in providing the PaleMoon browser in some of these ways, that's another reason why I'm asking these questions, to help them have a better understanding of the PaleMoon license.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-25, 08:23

vicmz wrote:Then 666philb's approach is better in this case. According to your reply, can I request permission to:

- include PaleMoon as default browser of foreign language editions, with the sole modification of the default language?
- package PaleMoon in Puppy Linux formats (PET & SFS), both unaltered and with the sole modification of the default language for people who do not understand English, for distribution in forums or websites?
This is already allowed as per the (updated) redist license. Please have a read through it.

If specifically integrated as a localized version into the OS as part of the distribution, you'll have to get my permission since it is a modification of the redistribution package/browser, which I'll grant to you (and other puppylinux maintainers) :)
-- it can be this simple as far as I'm concerned.

This is already allowed as per the redist license, provided the modification is approved.

You can provide as much documentation alongside the browser as needed or desired! I'm not going to tell you how to set up your distro otherwise. I'm only concerned with preventing "wild west"scenarios as far as the actual browser is concerned.
In addition, is it OK if I include a category named "Help" in the Puppy Linux menu, with .desktop files directing to html files (about diverse topics) that should be opened in the browser that is set as default by the user, stored online or locally, since they do not alter the PaleMoon homepage?
See above - it's something anyone is allowed to do as part of the integration of the browser in exempted operating systems according to the license.

So, for the parts discussed, the only issue would be the localization as specifically asked above, which I'm granting you and other puppylinux maintainers permission to do so here in an extemporaneous fashion, including the dissemination in OS-specific package formats, provided that the UI localization is the only modification done. If anyone of you wants/needs this permission in a more official way, feel free to send me an e-mail and I can provide a digitally signed grant.

I'll probably end up including this permission for specific situations in a more generic fashion in the license text when I get around to it, for clarity.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vicmz

Unread post by vicmz » 2014-12-26, 17:10

Thank you for the information, Moonchild.

And thank you for granting us permission about foreign languages as default browser language.