Rollback from v25.0.1 to 24.7.2

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sqelch7

Rollback from v25.0.1 to 24.7.2

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2014-10-27, 17:42

My entertainment box (Intel 775 C2D DG33FB), exhibited problems after update to v25.0.1 on Ubuntu v14.04LTS. My anti tracking extensions ceased working - Better Privacy, Privacy Badger, Ghostery. Audio would unpredictably go silent during video streaming. Video controls simply showed no audio available. I removed and reinstalled PM with no improvement. I erased and reinstalled Ubu v14.04 with newer drivers and it over-scanned so badly on my 720P TV over HDMI that It was unusable. Long story short, I rolled back both the OS to v12.04LTS and Browser to v24.7.2. It now fits to screen in 1080i/720P perfectly with native (non nVidia) drivers but transmits only video but no sound over HDMI. I now use analog stereo-out along with HDMI video until this can be resolved.

Ghostery, Better Privacy, and Privacy Badger are still working OK in Linux Ubuntu 14.04 on an Acer Atom (x86) PM v25.0.1, as well as PM v25 in AMD 2x64 Win XP and AMD FM1 APU Win7Pro.

Yes there may be judgements at my un-coolness in retaining the old 720P. It may have come to pass (my speculation) that nVidia has ceased supporting "low res" on older LCDs. My problems listed above may likely be a convergence of several chance code conflicts, drivers, browser, flash, HTML5, et al. As I understand it, fewer pixels (and an excellent picture in any case) means lower bandwidth requirements which satisfies my parsimonious attitude regarding the price gouging of the local internet delivery duopoly (Comcast and ATT).

Hardware problems aside, I'll never use a browser that forces me to quit blocking ads and allow intrusive tracking etc. I have zero interest in social media. Any other reports of this phenom on PM v25.0.1?

x-15a2

Re: Rollback from v25.0.1 to 24.7.2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-10-27, 19:05

Have you actually read any of the dozens of posts on this forum regarding v25.0.x and extensions?

sqelch7

Unread post by sqelch7 » 2014-10-27, 20:32

Nope, but if you have a link to an article or post that explains the problem concisely I'll read it. I've solved it already, and of course there are further solutions - other OS and other Browsers.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-10-27, 21:10

sqelch7 wrote:Nope, but if you have a link to an article or post that explains the problem concisely I'll read it. I've solved it already, and of course there are further solutions - other OS and other Browsers.
Seems it would be easier just to use the search (instead of expecting someone to do it for you) than to go through changing OS's, but... OK.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-28, 11:46

sqelch7 wrote:Nope, but if you have a link to an article or post that explains the problem concisely I'll read it. I've solved it already, and of course there are further solutions - other OS and other Browsers.
It seems you have absolutely 0 minutes of time to spend on searching for a few keywords in the search box and getting all the info you require, but do have plenty of time to spend on writing a fairly long post?... :eh:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite