pm4linux keeps abending

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
racorbin2010

pm4linux keeps abending

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2014-07-11, 16:29

I have been using pm4linux for several months. Recently I upgraded Linux Mint KDE v16 Petra to Linux Mint KDE v17 Qiana. I have had no problems with the upgrade except for pm4linux. After opening pm4linux whenever I right click anywhere on any screen pm4linux abends and closes. Also I use the extension InFormEnter and when I try to use it pm4linux abends. I am running 64-bit Linux. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling pm4linux; I have tried running pm4linux in Safe mode; I have tried 32-bit pm4linux and back level pm4linuxes. I have the same problem with each version.

I am running linux kernel 3.15.5.

If I go back to Linux Mint v16, pm4linux works fine. I am stumped! I have had to go back to Firefox v30 as my default version about which I am not happy. I need to run Linux Mint v17 and dont want to give up on pm4linux, which is a terrific app. If there are any files I need to upload to help with debugging, please let me know.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: pm4linux keeps abending

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-11, 19:17

You're probably running into the oxygen-gtk problem described in other active threads in this board.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: pm4linux keeps abending

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-07-11, 19:27

On one of my hard drives I have linux Mint 17 Qiana, 64 bit in the XFCE desktop environment and use 64 bit linux Pale Moon 24.6.2 and I don't have the problems you're having since I don't use the oxygen-gtk theme in XFCE. In fact, I'm using Mint 17 and linux Pale Moon right now as I'm typing this message.

From surfing around some of the linux distro forums (Mint & SolydXK), I know some people are having a problem with the KDE desktop environment with the oxygen-gtk theme.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

racorbin2010

Re: pm4linux keeps abending[Solved]

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2014-07-11, 19:54

Thanks to both of you. The problem turns out to be as you described. Standing on the shoulders of much cleverer people than I, looking at other posts, I solved the problem by using the pale moon command 'GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc palemoon'. That solved 99% of my problem.

The last 1% had to do with Thunderbird email client: I want pale moon to be my default app that opens http:// and https:// links. Pointing to Pale Moon directly encountered my original problem. There may be an easier way to do it, but I solved it by creating a bash script with the command 'GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc palemoon "$@"' and in the Thunderbird Preferences>Attachments pointed to my script for both these types of links.