PM4Linux and oxygen-gtk: a better solution

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

PM4Linux and oxygen-gtk: a better solution

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-03, 16:17

Currently on some distros, the user has to replace the GTK2 theme "oxygen-gtk" with another theme in order to have PM4Linux run properly.

If you would like to see this "GTK issue" fixed, you could vote on this bug.

Maybe if enough people vote on it, the developers at Mozilla will be persuaded to fix the issue!
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-04, 15:28, edited 5 times in total.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Cast your vote to have "GTK issue" fixed!

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-07-03, 17:45

I seriously doubt Mozilla will "fix" (more like find a hack/workaround for) this bug; the oxygen-gtk theme engine is a true bitch and well known to crash many applications (not just FF/PM). It's likely a bug in oxygen-gtk itself, and should be fixed by oxygen-gtk devels.

You may also try to set "export OXYGEN_DISABLE_ARGB_HACK=1" somewhere in your /etc/bashrc so that that variable will be propagated to all programs' environment (after a reboot), and see if it makes a difference...

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-03, 18:05

Yeah, this is a bug in the oxygen-gtk theme; the developers of the theme should fix it.

Also, you might want to put that in /etc/profile; /etc/bashrc is bash-specific.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-07-03, 18:34

access2godzilla wrote:Also, you might want to put that in /etc/profile; /etc/bashrc is bash-specific.
True... On the other hand, bash is the de facto standard (i.e. default shell) in all Linux distros I ever looked at or used.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-03, 19:11

I started this topic because I would like to recommend PM4Linux to other Linux users, but I'm afraid people will be put off if they have to apply a workaround before they can even try the program..

Would it be possible to have the "pminstaller" apply a fix for this automatically, when it installs the package program on a user's computer?
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-04, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-04, 02:26

Tell me a few things then:
  • Are there specific versions of oxygen-gtk for which Pale Moon crashes, or is any version sufficient to crash it?
  • Does dinosaur's method work?
(A conflict could be declared if it were a package, however, pm4linux does not have packages at present.)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 10:23

access2godzilla wrote:Are there specific versions of oxygen-gtk for which Pale Moon crashes, or is any version sufficient to crash it?
a) I believe I have version 4.0 of oxygen-gtk installed (because I have replaced it with a theme caled "kde42-oxygen"), but I'm not sure. Do you know how I can check this?
b) I think updating the oxygen-gtk theme to a newer version (if there is a newer version) would be by far the best solution. Do you know of a way to update the theme? And is this something that you could have the "pminstaller" do automatically?
access2godzilla wrote:Does dinosaur's method work?
Alas, it doesn't. I have added this line: "export OXYGEN_DISABLE_ARGB_HACK=1" to /etc/profile (like you suggested in reply to dinosaur) and then rebooted, but it didn't fix the problem (see screenshot). One thing I noticed: before I adjusted /etc/profile, the bookmarks drop-down list was transparent, and afterwards it had turned black..
Attachments
Pale Moon + oxygen-gtk + /etc/profile adjusted
Pale Moon + oxygen-gtk + /etc/profile adjusted

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-04, 10:56

Antonius32 wrote:I believe I have version 4.0 of oxygen-gtk installed (because I have replaced it with a theme caled "kde42-oxygen"), but I'm not sure.
This package is named "gtk2-engines-oxygen" on Debian and its derivatives. Upgrading to version >= 1.4.2 fixes the issue, and I can confirm that. I've been running Pale Moon with the oxygen theme for 2 hours now and without crashes (and am posting from it.)Nope, it happens with any version. This distro seems to be using a similarly named package (gtk-oxygen-molecule) and I mixed up oxygen-gtk with that.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 11:31

I just checked: my version is 1.4.4-2, and it does have the bug. Do you know how I can revert to version 1.4.2?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 11:46

Alright, so I downloaded the tarball from https://projects.kde.org/news/251, but I have no idea how to install it. Could you explain how this is done?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-04, 12:22

Scratch that (see above).

However, I did get an older version to work, Debian's version 1.2.4.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 12:52

The newest version is oxygen-gtk2-v1.4.5.

I would like to try it out, but when I click System settings > (Application) Appearance > GTK > Get new themes > Install a local theme, then select the .tar.gz file and click "OK", the "Install theme" button is grayed out. I don't know how to change this; do you have any suggestions?
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-04, 13:44, edited 5 times in total.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 13:08

access2godzilla wrote:However, I did get an older version to work, Debian's version 1.2.4.
That's great! However, it would be even better if the newest version turned out to be compatible with Pale Moon, don't you agree?

access2godzilla

Re: PM4Linux and oxygen-gtk: a better solution

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-04, 13:46

It's not a theme in the usual sense, it's a binary component and can't be installed in that way. And BTW 1.4.5 doesn't work too.

Seems as if every version of pm4linux in existence has had this problem, will compile 24.0.2 and see if it persists there.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 14:54

I just installed Firefox ESR (24.6.0) on my system, to see if it has the same problem. Much to my surprise, it runs without a hitch. :?

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-07-04, 15:25

Antonius32 wrote:I just installed Firefox ESR (24.6.0) on my system, to see if it has the same problem. Much to my surprise, it runs without a hitch. :?
This could be due to the fact that the Azure rendering backend was enabled unconditionally under Linux (it used to be disabled by default) in PM v24.6.2... Try PM v24.6.1 and see if it works the same as FF 24ESR does.

Also, try changing the "layers.acceleration.disabled" setting to true in about:config, and see if it makes a difference with PM 24.6.2.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-04, 15:39

dinosaur wrote:This could be due to the fact that the Azure rendering backend was enabled unconditionally under Linux.
access2godzilla wrote:Seems as if every version of pm4linux in existence has had this problem
even 24.2.2, the very first version released.

At the moment I'm compiling 24.0.2 to check whether that shows any problems. But without diffs/commits, it's really difficult to trace this down.
Edit:now the build process fails for that version (with apparently no errors), which spells the end of my investigations.

Cyansmoker will have to look into this.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-07-04, 18:36

dinosaur wrote:Also, try changing the "layers.acceleration.disabled" setting to true in about:config, and see if it makes a difference with PM 24.6.2.
I just tried that, but it didn't make any difference. (By the way: you don't have to go to about:config to change this setting.)
access2godzilla wrote:now the build process fails for that version (with apparently no errors), which spells the end of my investigations.
Thank you for taking the trouble of compiling old versions of Pale Moon, in order to find a solution for this problem. Too bad it didn't work out, so far.

Hopefully cyansmoker has some new insights on the matter, and If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know!
Last edited by Antonius32 on 2014-07-07, 00:57, edited 3 times in total.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-07-06, 07:04

A quick question for Moonchild: which FF ESR release is closest to PM 24.1.0(which also crashes with oxygen-gtk)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-06, 07:53

access2godzilla wrote:A quick question for Moonchild: which FF ESR release is closest to PM 24.1.0(which also crashes with oxygen-gtk)?
FF 24.0
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite