[Solved] PM 24.6.2 crashes on opening bookmarks in new tab

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

[Solved] PM 24.6.2 crashes on opening bookmarks in new tab

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-06-17, 00:10

Greetings,

I just compiled Pale Moon v24.6.2 for Linux (like I did for v24.6.1), and it crashes once every five times on average on opening bookmarks in new tab (left-clicking on a bookmark entry). I didn't yet investigate, but since I'm using the exact same compilation options and runtime settings as for v24.6.1, it's highly probable that it's a bug introduced in the new version...

Also, on session restore (i.e. when relaunching after a crash), PM v24.6.2 crashes immediately. Even starting it in safe mode makes it crash. I have to delete the sessionstore files from the profile to make it start properly again.

Note also that unlike what happened to some other users on this forum, PM v24.6.1 proved rock-stable for me.

I reverted to v24.6.1 since this bug is a show stopper.

System: Rosa Linux 2012.0 LTS 32 bits. NVIDIA GTX660 with NVIDIA's drivers v340.17 (note: the crashes happen with and without the hardware acceleration enabled).
Last edited by dinosaur on 2014-06-17, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: PM 24.6.2 crashes on opening bookmarks in new tab

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-06-17, 01:32

I'm using linux Pale Moon 24.6.2 (64 bit) running in linux Mint 16 XFCE (64-bit) desktop environment. I also have hardware acceleration turned off.

I just opened up a new tab for each of my 22 favorite bookmarks (by left clicking on each bookmark) and I can not crash Pale Moon. If I keep adding another tab after tab and then click on each of my 22 favorite bookmarks, I still can not make Pale Moon crash.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 220 graphics card in this desktop tower computer and the Nvidia proprietary driver is (319.32).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-17, 05:49

I could only see a source code release for 24.6.2 ... I don't see any released binaries. However, I think that the graphics-related code refactoring being done responsible for this.

cyansmoker/MC should also look into the oxygen-gtk2 crashes: apparently this turns out to be a bug in Pale Moon (doesn't occur in FF and also oxygen-gtk2 >= 1.4.2 doesn't seem to fix it from that "aios" thread). Possibly related to code changes in toolkit/, if any changes were made there.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-06-17, 07:40

access2godzilla wrote:I could only see a source code release for 24.6.2 ... I don't see any released binaries.
Compiling Pale Moon from sources is a piece of cake for me. I made my own build, in the same way I did it for v24.6.1.
access2godzilla wrote:However, I think that the graphics-related code refactoring being done responsible for this.

cyansmoker/MC should also look into the oxygen-gtk2 crashes: apparently this turns out to be a bug in Pale Moon (doesn't occur in FF and also oxygen-gtk2 >= 1.4.2 doesn't seem to fix it from that "aios" thread). Possibly related to code changes in toolkit/, if any changes were made there.
I'm not using oxygen-gtk2 (this theme engine is crippled anyway, and causes crashes in many pieces of software: I don't even have it installed on my system). I'm using the Crux theme under Gnome v2.32.1.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-06-17, 10:16

dinosaur wrote:I made my own build
Yeah, it's easy enough. I stated about the unreleased binaries due to Nightwing's statement about 24.6.2.

Code changes to the graphics handling sections of PM have been found to be responsible for this. Please wait while cyansmoker investigates the responsible commit.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-06-17, 13:32

access2godzilla wrote:I stated about the unreleased binaries due to Nightwing's statement about 24.6.2.
Not sure what statement you are speaking about...
Code changes to the graphics handling sections of PM have been found to be responsible for this.
I could somewhat narrow down the issue. I made a diff of the sources between 24.6.1 and 24.6.2, and it's quite a small diff (16Kb), so it was easy to test several combinations.

I first spotted possible NULL pointer issues, that I fixed via this patch:
palemoon-24.6.2-NULL_pointer_guards.patch.gz
(563 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
But it didn't succeed in fixing the crashes.

The part that breaks Linux' builds is in the changes done to the Azure rendering engine and backends. Under Linux, Azure used to be disabled by default ("gfx.content.azure.enabled" set to false), but v24.6.2 removed that setting and is forcing a Cairo backend on Azure (when there could be no backend at all before, with Azure disabled).

Interestingly enough, Azure seems to be working fine when enabled (via "gfx.content.azure.enabled") in v24.6.1, so this change seems it could make sense... However, I suspect a weird race condition somewhere, because I also encountered crashes with v24.6.2 after a page has been successfully and fully loaded (i.e. after the initial repaint that was likely to crash), but while simply moving the mouse pointer around in the page (probably a problem with canvas stuff, when the mouse pointer moves from one canvas to another).

In any case, the changes that broke Pale Moon v24.6.2 are contained in this part of the diff between v24.6.1 and v24.6.2:
palemoon-24.6.2-buggy.patch.gz
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
(i.e. compiling Pale Moon v24.6.2 with the above patch reverted fixed the crashing issue).

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-06-17, 14:52

dinosaur wrote:
access2godzilla wrote:I stated about the unreleased binaries due to Nightwing's statement about 24.6.2.
Not sure what statement you are speaking about...
Night Wing said he used pale moon 24.6.2 on linux. And he, contrary to you, didn't compile the code itself, so it was probably a mistake on his side, thus access2godzilla reaction.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-17, 15:00

Try a selective backout.

Only back out the changes specifically related to:

Code: Select all

/gfx/thebes/gfxPlatformGtk.cpp
-    uint32_t contentMask = 0; 
+    uint32_t contentMask = (1 << BACKEND_CAIRO) | (1 << BACKEND_SKIA);  
So, only change the default content mask to 0 instead of forcing cairo/skia there.

Leave everything else in place from 24.6.2, and see if that fixes your issue?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-06-17, 17:09

Moonchild wrote:Try a selective backout.
This is what I was going to do this evening (had to get back to real work in the mean time) :shh:
Only back out the changes specifically related to:

Code: Select all

/gfx/thebes/gfxPlatformGtk.cpp
-    uint32_t contentMask = 0; 
+    uint32_t contentMask = (1 << BACKEND_CAIRO) | (1 << BACKEND_SKIA);  
So, only change the default content mask to 0 instead of forcing cairo/skia there.
Yes, definitely the code in gfxPlatformGtk.cpp would have been my next target to attempt and narrow the issue.
Leave everything else in place from 24.6.2, and see if that fixes your issue?
Yep, it seems to be the source of the issue ! Currently running a patched PM v24.6.2 and so far, so good...

I will keep using it this evening and will declare the issue solved after I'm confident enough it's gone for good.

Note that you might want to have a look at the NULL pointer guards patch I published above, yet, since they might also plug potential crashes...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-17, 18:13

dinosaur wrote:Yep, it seems to be the source of the issue ! Currently running a patched PM v24.6.2 and so far, so good...
Awesome! :)
Obviously, GTK (and Linux as a whole) isn't my forté, and Linux builds are still fairly new, so in-depth code analysis of the back-end for Linux has not been done. :coffee:

I'll wait for your report back, and if good I'll put in a patch and tag-move on the release branch.
@Cyansmoker, I hope you're following this thread? ;-)
dinosaur wrote:Note that you might want to have a look at the NULL pointer guards patch I published above, yet, since they might also plug potential crashes...
I'll have a closer look at that for the next full release (I'm already doing 20 things at once this week :P). I'll credit you in the repo commit with your forum credentials if OK?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-06-17, 21:55

Moonchild wrote:I'll wait for your report back, and if good I'll put in a patch and tag-move on the release branch.
No crash... I think we can consider the issue resolved.
dinosaur wrote:Note that you might want to have a look at the NULL pointer guards patch I published above, yet, since they might also plug potential crashes...
I'll have a closer look at that for the next full release (I'm already doing 20 things at once this week :P). I'll credit you in the repo commit with your forum credentials if OK?
No problem. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-17, 22:16

dinosaur wrote:
Moonchild wrote:I'll wait for your report back, and if good I'll put in a patch and tag-move on the release branch.
No crash... I think we can consider the issue resolved.
Teaches me to trust the stability of long-standing Mozilla code ;P
No problem. :)
Okay, will do, then, if it leads to a commit!

cyansmoker

Re: [Solved] PM 24.6.2 crashes on opening bookmarks in new t

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-06-19, 00:16

OK. Now building...

Good catch, Dinosaur! I haven't had time to narrow it down myself yet (like you, work...) so I'm glad you made it look so easy :)